The Psychology of Gyan

for ex-Brahma Kumaris, to discuss matters related to their experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.
celticgyan
ex-BK
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK

The Psychology of Gyan

Post by celticgyan »

Many of us spend our time knocking Gyan, either 5000 years is not enough or Dinosaurs are older than 2500 years, is karma real etc etc.

However, if you have ever attended or taught the Positive Thinking course you will know that much of that stuff is left out and the knowledge condenses into what could be said was a psychological therapy course.

I liked the Positive Thinking course. It wasn't so 'Indian' and 'Obscure' as the official course. I believe it helped people in prisons a lot and managers etc (though they also had a Self Management and Leadership course, I believe - same thing different name!).

For a free course it was very good and worthwhile. Does everybody agree? I know it could be thought of as a back door of getting people into the real BK 'agenda' but lets keep the conspiracies out of it for once!

C.
joel
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I was an active BK for 12 years. That was long ago. Now I am just a person.

Re: The Psychology of Gyan

Post by joel »

celticgyan wrote:Many of us spend our time knocking Gyan ...
At this point, the BK explanations for the world are not relevant to my life. I am not commenting on Gyan itself, whether it is right or wrong. It is as useful to me as any other theology.
However, if you have ever attended or taught the Positive Thinking course, you will know that much of that stuff is left out and the knowledge condenses into what could be said was a psychological therapy course.
Which can work if the problems aren't especially serious. Or if the person is ready for an external trigger to make an internal jump forward. What I think many of us react to is BK services being promoted as a solution to serious personal problems, diverting people from getting other, more effective kinds of assistance. It would be great if soul consciousness could cure mental illness. Many of us tried it, and it did not work. Ten years was generally long enough to determine that the fault was not with us for lack of faith, effort, surrender or sincerity.
I liked the Positive Thinking course. It wasn't so 'Indian' and 'Obscure' as the official course. I believe it helped people in prisons a lot and managers etc (though they also had a Self Management and Leadership course, I believe - same thing different name!). For a free course it was very good and worthwhile. Does everybody agree? I know it could be thought of as a back door of getting people into the real BK 'agenda' but lets keep the conspiracies out of it for once!
The courses may have marginal value to the participants. I think it is undisputed that the underlying purposes of the courses is to glorify the names of the BK organization and its God.
celticgyan
ex-BK

Post by celticgyan »

The courses may have marginal value to the participants. I think it is undisputed that the underlying purposes of the courses is to glorify the names of the BK organization and its God.
You mean there is more than one God? Were the Hindus right?

C.
joel
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I was an active BK for 12 years. That was long ago. Now I am just a person.

Post by joel »

celticgyan wrote:You mean there is more than one God? Were the Hindus right?
I have no idea about the answer to this.
bro neo
ex-BK

Post by bro neo »

The psychological model that I have adopted most recently, and seems to work most effectively in my understand of human beings, and more importantly myself, is a model where humans all have 3 basic beliefs-desires. The most important being survival, then approval and then control. These 3 belief systems stem from the desire-belief to want to be separate (still trying to fully grasp this last one).

Looking at the phychology of Gyan it works brilliantly to satisfy and motivate us to throw everything we have ever known and loved and give ourselves to the BKWSU.

Control: Gyan claims that all our problems as of present was beyond our control and not our fault, it’s the Iron age and we can become Angels and then supreme Gods and Goddesses of Heaven on earth by simple Raja Yoga. So do it now and today, because if you wait till tomorrow the best place you’ll get in Heaven is as a dress maker or pillow fluffer. Worse still Destruction is tomorrow so if you don’t act rite now and give the BKWSU all your money, you’ll have no control over which part of town your palace will be in, in the Golden Age or you’ll get incinerated by an A bomb which will be launched by one of the Cats fighting over the butter and then just be kept out of Heaven do to forfeit.

Approval: We are loved and approved of regardless of where we came from and seen as the #1 child of the supreme most elevated God ‘IF’ we give ourselves to Gyan. If God approves of us nothing else matters including Lokik ties, which are all pathetic Iron Aged relationships anyway. We are thrown into the all important social system, the Divine Family, where this approval-disapproval is also a reflection on how we follow Gyan.

Survival: Give your self to Gyan and you have the ultimate survival. In fact stay in constant rememberence and bullets can’t hit you, people can’t hurt you, you are invincible! Don’t and you can sleep for 3/4 of all time and then come and live off the scraps of others.

Very powerfully motivating theology indeed!

In regards to God, here’s something to think about for a week. You are God, your subconscious mind creates the emotions that your body experiences at every given time in the day and these emotions attract to you through the Quantum Hologram (which is physical reality) all circumstances and situations which are a direct reflection of your emotional states.

You can positive think your self into a cotton candy filled wonderland with loin cubs sucking on cow udders. Unless you have sufficiently reprogrammed your subconscious into naturally producing positive emotions and more importantly not constantly producing all the toxic emotions most people are subjected too, reality sucks.

"Life has to be lived. That's all there is to it." - Eleanor Roosevelt.
zhuk
non-BK

Post by zhuk »

celticgyan wrote:However, if you have ever attended or taught the Positive Thinking course you will know that much of that stuff is left out and the knowledge condenses into what could be said was a psychological therapy course. I liked the Positive Thinking course. It wasn't so 'Indian' and 'Obscure' as the official course. I believe it helped people in prisons a lot and managers etc (though they also had a Self Management and Leadership course, I believe - same thing different name!).
Its not a whole lot different from cognitive behavioural therapy, i.e. you are what you think ... which you can access through therapy or good self-help books ... w/o the danger of being sucked into any BK backdoor agenda ;)

HOWEVER ... I think the BK insistence on not allowing yourself to experienc any so-called 'negative' emotion for fear it will lower your 'status' is a bit ridiculous. As they say in Zen, how can you know what is 'good' without knowing what is 'bad' to hold it up against? The thing is to observe without all that constant 'judging'. I know when I was attempting to follow the BKs, I was in a constant brainwashing mire of judging my thoughts into what I "should" be allowing myself to think and what I "shouldn't". Very tiring in the long run.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Positive thinking course

Post by fluffy bunny »

celticgyan wrote:However, if you have ever attended or taught the Positive Thinking course you will know that much of that stuff is left out and the knowledge condenses into what could be said was a psychological therapy course.
Who thought it up? How did it develop and how easily was it adopted? Can you give us the history behind it?

Was it a reaction from embarrassed Double Foreigners choking on Trimurti pictures?
celticgyan
ex-BK

Post by celticgyan »

Some of it was thought up in Holland - at least they had one version of the course they ran in prisons - and probably wrote. With due respect to some of the other posters, I did not see it as a course that made you cow-tow to the BKs. It set you free. Only thing you needed was meditation. Now, as for the meditation Gyan course - that was different altogether.

I expect somebody was a bit embarassed by all the Indian words etc. Some of you guys look like you have had a hard time at the BKs. My experience was the opposite - I only left when I moved countries.

C.
joel
ex-BK

Post by joel »

celticgyan wrote:Some of it was thought up in Holland - at least they had one version of the course they ran in prisons - and probably wrote. With due respect to some of the other posters, I did not see it as a course that made you cow-tow to the BKs. It set you free. Only thing you needed was meditation. Now, as for the meditation Gyan course - that was different altogether. I expect somebody was a bit embarassed by all the Indian words etc. Some of you guys look like you have had a hard time at the BKs. My experience was the opposite - I only left when I moved countries.
Yeah, the blond or red-haired woman, blue eyes.. She visited me when I just took over a center and was not really keeping on top of things. She is a warm, genuine person who also happens to be a BK.

I don't know if I had a harder time as BK than you. I know my life dimensions are much changed even compared to a year ago.

Regarding our collective writings here, I think we can say that with our 11,000 articles in aggregate with xbkchat, we constitute a rather authoritative source of information about the brahma kumaris. Due to unprecedented mixing of BK/PBK and non-BK elements, we are arguably a key nexus for innovation in the future directions of BK spiritual knowledge for those who believe in secrets being revealed, who hope that the revelations will allow them to accept themselves in a new way, direct themselves in a new way. When new is already here.
celticgyan
ex-BK

Post by celticgyan »

Regarding our collective writings here, I think we can say that with our 11,000 articles in aggregate with xbkchat, we constitute a rather authoritative source of information about the Brahma Kumaris, and due to unprecedented mixing of BK/PBK and non-BK elements, we are arguably a key nexus for innovation in the future directions of BK spiritual knowledge for those who believe in secrets being revealed, who hope that the revelations will allow them to accept themselves in a new way, direct themselves in a new way. When new is already here.
Well said! Did you not have a poetry page some 10 years ago? I vaguely remember.

C.