The Master and the killer thief

for discussing science, relationships, religion or non-BK spirituality.
bansy
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK

The Master and the killer thief

Post by bansy »

Well, you've heard about the story about Baba (Lekhraj Kirpalani) who was threatened to be killed by someone sent from the Anti Om Mandali party.

Well an older story about one who confronted the Japanese Zen master Shichiri Kojun. He was threatened by the thief for his life. The master pointed to the thief the drawer with the money, only requesting a little money left behind so he may get food for that day. As the thief bagged up and was leaving, the master instructed that when people receive things from others, they ought to say thank you, in which the thief immediately responded with "thank you" and bolted.

Days later, the thief was caught and arrested, the police went to the master and brought the thief to be identified, and when asked if the thief stole the money, the master replied that he did not steal it but the master gave it to him, and the thief even thanked him afterwards.

Anyhow, the thief went to prison, and when released he went to see Shichiri and begged to be accepted as a disciple.

Anyone know what happened to the man who threatened Baba (Lekhraj Kirpalani) ?
john
Reforming BK

Re: The Master and the killer thief

Post by john »

bansy wrote:Anyone know what happened to the man who threatened Baba (Dada Lekhraj) ?
I am sure he became a disciple. Are you suggesting BKs are nicking their stories :lol:
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Re: The Master and the killer thief

Post by fluffy bunny »

John wrote:I am sure he became a disciple. Are you suggesting BKs are nicking their stories :lol:
He was meant to have been a wild Sikh bandit armed with a sword. Dropped it and ran, was fed by Dada Lekhraj and promised to renouce violence.

The problem is ... what do we know is real or not real any more, and what is just borrowed from elsewhere to make Lekhraj Kirpalani sound like a saint. No word he became a Brahmin but I suppose it is a possible story given all the other weird psychic stuff flying around at that time.
bansy

Post by bansy »

suggesting BKs are nicking their stories
No, I think there are many stories in all aspects of spirituality that give examples of virtous deeds. In the BK realm, we often hear of deeds done by BKs that crop up in BK classes which woo the audience, but there are countless similar ones done by others. i.e good deeds are done by folks all across society who not necessarily have 84 births. Stories of good deeds are always nice to read, BK or not BK.

(I haven't heard of this word "nicking" for a long time. For those unfamiliar with it, "to nick" means "to steal". The reason I recall it is once in our English class, we thought people who nick where called nickers :oops:, as in rob - robbers, hunt-hunters, etc)
john
Reforming BK

Post by john »

What about the story that Brahma Baba had an operation without an anesthetic?
joel
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I was an active BK for 12 years. That was long ago. Now I am just a person.

Post by joel »

John wrote:What about the story that Brahma Baba had an operation without an anesthetic?
I vaguely remember hearing that story, too.

Dr. Hansa claims she had root-canal surgery without anaesthetic. I had a filling without anasthetic, using my powerful ability to dissociate/detach. That was one of the few times it came in handy.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Post by fluffy bunny »

joel wrote:I had a filling without anasthetic, using my powerful ability to dissociate/detach. That was one of the few times it came in handy.
Not quite on a par with being nailed to a cross wearing only a crown of thorns etc ... but did it hurt, or were you able to feel the pain but consciously not react to it?
joel
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I was an active BK for 12 years. That was long ago. Now I am just a person.

Post by joel »

ex-l wrote:Not quite on a par with being nailed to a cross wearing only a crown of thorns etc ... but did it hurt, or were you able to feel the pain but consciously not react to it?
It was a deep filling, there was lots of drilling,

I was willing myself to be detached.

Pain is a two-way street. Like many processes in the brain is quite malleable.

I noticed there was the feeling (grinding, vibration, a penetrating cold sensation). I could feel myself wanting to react, wanting to finish the process of interpreting that sensation as pain, wanting to recruit my muscles to writhe, my face to cringe. Somehow I just let the sensation be. A couple times tremors went through my frame, like a shiver.

I calmed myself, and let the sensation be just the sensation, not adding an iota of drama, (except maybe anticipation of becoming famous for my Hansa-like abilities.:lol:). I know that anyone can do it: hypnotic anaesthesia is used medically for cases that pharmaceutical anaesthetic is contraindicated. Another trancelike state. How about the guy whose arm was trapped by a fallen tree: he freed himself with a pocket knife.

Interesting to write about detaching from pain at this time in my life, when I am learning the opposite skill, of giving more room to feel and emote, including feelings that I might have believed I shouldn't have, or repressed to make myself more acceptable to others around me, beginning with my mother.

Controlling pain need not lead to repressed emotions. At the same time, I think the emphasis on detachment/dissociation (which I wrote about in my [url=thttp://brahmakumaris.info/bb/viewtopic.php?p=8839#8839]latest rant[/url]) is definitely unhealthy for people already alienated from their own feelings.

No matter what people's faith, spiritual intoxication does not substitute for healthy emotional functioning in a person in whom the latter has been disrupted, testimonies of magically improved lives in some few cases notwithstanding.

References: the torture scene from "The Princess Bride". The hero is tied into the pain machine. He tries to detach, thinking of his loved one. He fails ...
paulkershaw
ex-BK
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I am an ex-teacher and member of the BKWSU and my interest lies in assisting those who request support on any level I can.

Post by paulkershaw »

Hey Bansy

Your story is virtually the exact script for "Les Miserables". Do you think that the seeds of the BKs as they are today actually start up in the French revolution? Maybe that thief or rich man was Dada Lekhraj in an earlier birth, we could check the timings and see if this could be so ...(!)

Anyway, I seem to remember this story playing out in the book Adi Dev ...
L8r..
P
joel
ex-BK

Post by joel »

paulkershaw wrote:Your story is virtually the exact script for "Les Miserables". Do you think that the seeds of the BKs as they are today actually start up in the French revolution? Maybe that thief or rich man was Dada Lekhraj in an earlier birth, we could check the timings and see if this could be so ... (!). Anyway, I seem to remember this story playing out in the book Adi Dev ...
I began collecting quotes from Les Miserables. A number of places Hugo's words seem to echo BK teachings and Murli points covering the Golden Age, the urn of sin, etc. It is likely that Hugo had done readings in Hinduism. No doubt Kirpalani synthesized material he read as well.
alladin
Friends and family of

alienated

Post by alladin »

I really like this ones:
joel wrote:Interesting to write about detaching from pain at this time in my life, when I am learning the opposite skill, of giving more room to feel and emote, including feelings that I might have believed I shouldn't have, or repressed to make myself more acceptable to others around me, beginning with my mother.

Controlling pain need not lead to repressed emotions. At the same time, I think the emphasis on detachment/dissociation (which I wrote about in my latest rant) is definitely unhealthy for people already alienated from their own feelings.
mr green
ex-BK

Post by mr green »

I once fell off my motorbike without anasthetic ... does that mean I am god? :lol:
joel
ex-BK

Post by joel »

Mr Green wrote:I once fell off my motorbike without anasthetic ... does that mean I am god? :lol:
Ooh! A motorbike!! Motorbikes serve admirably for charitable purposes. A leather riding jacket will add to the effect, and is a strong sign to BKs that you are a charitable soul.

Another highly successful technique to get the attention of the opposite sex is having breast implants. This is an interesting article to my ex-BK mind, since it presents a fun-loving guy - a gambler - who seems like a good Father. He appears to follow none of the BK principles. Is his life any less if he doesn't talk or think much about God? If he drinks and frequents gambling establishments? I think it's the envy of BK to brand such people as 'degraded' or as new souls rapidly using up their karma like the insects that appear after a rain and then die a few days later.
mr green
ex-BK

Post by mr green »

What a freaky bloke!!!!!
joel
ex-BK

Post by joel »

Mr Green wrote:what a freaky bloke!!!!!
How about this cross-dressing Brit who's being worshipped in India as a goddess?

Obviously, one doesn't need to be a holy person (whatever that is) to partake in the give and take of love.