BKs at the UN

for ex-Brahma Kumaris, to discuss matters related to their experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.
celtiggyan
ex-BK
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK

BKs at the UN

Post by celtiggyan »

The BKs go on and on about how they are consultants to the UN. I read on the net (and it could all be wrong) that they just rent an office there and that they over-exaggerate their relationship with the UN. For example I found this

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/pitca ... al-eng.htm

The unfounded claims that it operates under the UN (United Nations Organization). The truth is that the cult has only rented some assembly rooms that belong to the UN, to organize seminars. While the UN has forbidden to the cult to claim that it operates under its auspices, Brahma Kumaris insists on misleading people in this way.

G.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Re: BKs at the UN

Post by fluffy bunny »

celtiggyan wrote:The BKs go on and on about how they are consultants to the UN. I read on the net (and it could all be wrong) that they just rent an office there and that they over-exaggerate their relationship with the UN. For example I found this

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/pitca ... al-eng.htm

The unfounded claims that it operates under the UN (United Nations Organization). The truth is that the cult has only rented some assembly rooms that belong to the UN, to organize seminars. While the UN has forbidden to the cult to claim that it operates under its auspices, Brahma Kumaris insists on misleading people in this way.

G.
Yup. A typical quote is this from one of their websites. Does it mean anything? Can someone write to the UN and ask them?

The Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University is a non-governmental organisation in general consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), in consultative status with The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and affiliated to the Department of Public Information (DPI).

Further down that same page they write ;

The Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University recognises the intrinsic spirituality and goodness of every human being and helps people to rediscover that goodness within themselves, encouraging and facilitating the development of spiritual awareness, attitudes, behaviours and skills through a process of lifelong learning.
joel
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I was an active BK for 12 years. That was long ago. Now I am just a person.

Re: BKs at the UN

Post by joel »

ex-l wrote:Yup. A typical quote is this from one of their websites. Does it mean anything? Can someone write to the UN and ask them?

The Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University is a non-governmental organisation in general consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC), in consultative status with The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and affiliated to the Department of Public Information (DPI).
I was around when they got that status, and the language they use is approved by the UN and has a specific meaning. They cultivated relationships with a couple of major UN figures, Robert Muller and James Jonah. The UN recognizes that religious and other NGOs have a role providing input in some processes.

The BKs do attend a lot of UN programs; their status is the result of the UN deciding that they have something positive to contribute. Recall that many of the BKs who attend UN programs are deep thinkers, charismatic and inspiring speakers.

Regards
mr green
ex-BK

Post by mr green »

In actual fact, the BKs have been downgraded in status by the UN and the UN also requested that the wording the BKs were using on their blurb about the UN connection should be changed as it was untrue.

They were making out they had consultative status, as if the UN turned to the BKs for spiritual advice. You will see any reference the BKs make to the UN these days is a much more toned down affair.
joel
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I was an active BK for 12 years. That was long ago. Now I am just a person.

Post by joel »

Mr Green wrote:in actual fact fact the BKs have been downgraded in status by the UN and the UN also requested that the wording the BKs were using on their blurb about the UN connection should be changed as it was untrue.

they were making out they had cunsultative status as if the UN turned to the BKs for spiritual advice, you will see any reference the BKs make to the un these days is a much more toned down affair
I believe they did have consultative status with the Ecosoc; that never meant that the BKs were trusted advisers. There are several religious NGOs with this status. Specific rules govern the language and use of the UN logo. The group spent many years learning the ins and outs, especially Sr. Mohini, and the utterly charming Sr. Gayatri, whose Father Steve Narayan, was once Vishnu Party of Guyana.

I would have given Sr. Gayatri consultative status for absolutely anything.
mr green
ex-BK

Post by mr green »

Uncle and Auntie, yeah i remember them, nice people ... I think you got a crush on Gayatri though :lol:
proy
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: Started as BK became ex-BK here

Post by proy »

Mr Green wrote:Should the activities of the Janki Foundation or the activities of the Living Values team be put under BK news?
Mr. Green, you posted the above on the BK Positive news, and I did not feel it was right to respond there. What I want to say is that these organisations are part and parcel of the BKWSU/O getting their UN status.

Which came first, the desire to serve the community or the desire to get UN status? As I remember, the Murlis do not advocate service except as a distraction.
joel wrote: I was around when they got that status, and the language they use is approved by the UN and has a specific meaning.
This is true, you do not have to write to the UN to find out, just look it up on the web or in a reference book in the library. They have to conform to certain conditions to qualify for UN status. Janki foundation and the Global Hospital Outreach program are part of why they qualified.