Interesting stories and information

for discussing science, relationships, religion or non-BK spirituality.
arjun
PBK
Affinity to the BKWSU: PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Re: Interesting stories and information

Post by arjun »

An interesting bit of information sent to me by a friend through email:

'A Leader Should Know How to Manage Failure'-- Former President of India APJ Abdul Kalam
IndiaKnowledge@Wharton: Could you give an example, from your own experience, of how leaders should manage failure?

Kalam: Let me tell you about my experience. In 1973 I became the project director of India's satellite launch vehicle program, commonly called the SLV-3. Our goal was to put India's "Rohini" satellite into orbit by 1980. I was given funds and human resources -- but was told clearly that by 1980 we had to launch the satellite into space. Thousands of people worked together in scientific and technical teams towards that goal.

By 1979 -- I think the month was August -- we thought we were ready. As the project director, I went to the control center for the launch. At four minutes before the satellite launch, the computer began to go through the checklist of items that needed to be checked. One minute later, the computer program put the launch on hold; the display showed that some control components were not in order. My experts -- I had four or five of them with me -- told me not to worry; they had done their calculations and there was enough reserve fuel. So I bypassed the computer, switched to manual mode, and launched the rocket. In the first stage, everything worked fine. In the second stage, a problem developed. Instead of the satellite going into orbit, the whole rocket system plunged into the Bay of Bengal. It was a big failure.

That day, the chairman of the Indian Space Research Organization, Prof.Satish Dhawan, had called a press conference. The launch was at 7:00 am, and the press conference -- where journalists from around the world were present -- was at 7:45 am at ISRO's satellite launch range in Sriharikota [in Andhra Pradesh in southern India]. Prof. Dhawan, the leader of the organization, conducted the press Conference himself. He took responsibility for the failure -- he said that the team had worked very hard, but that it needed more technological support. He assured the media that in another year, the team would definitely succeed. Now, I was the project director, and it was my failure, but instead, he took responsibility for the failure as chairman of the organization.

The next year, in July 1980, we tried again to launch the satellite -- and this time we succeeded. The whole nation was jubilant. Again, there was a press conference. Prof. Dhawan called me aside and told me, "You conduct the press conference today."

I learned a very important lesson that day. When failure occurred, the leader of the organization owned that failure. When success came, he gave it to his team. The best management lesson I have learned did not come to me from reading a book; it came from that experience.
bansy
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK

Post by bansy »

I do not understand why billions are spent on projects like this to be wasted, when millions in the country are in poverty.

I used to think APJ Abdul Kalam was a righteous person, but it goes to show politics is too corrupt that it also engulfs those in it. Maybe the best managment lesson to be learnt was not to waste money in the first place.

Well, it doesn't matter, the world is going to end anyway is not it ? So let the starving millions continue to starve ...

This reply is also a reply to the food shortage problem currently happening. It doesn't need an economist to work out it is all down to political corruption.

Just be above it all. Those who are in the thick of it will never escape. But they have a choice, which very often they do not take.
arjun
PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Post by arjun »

Sister Bansy wrote:I used to think APJ Abdul Kalam was a righteous person, but it goes to show politics is too corrupt that it also engulfs those in it. Maybe the best managment lesson to be learnt was not to waste money in the first place.
Alas! But the the taxpayer's money continues to be spent on such projects and defence deals. I read in the newspapers that Indian scientists were working on a plan to land on Moon on their own. An Indian Astronaut went into space long ago, but that was with the help of other countries and now the Indian Govt. plans to have its own mission. May be they want to see how the millions of starving people on Earth look like from the Moon! :shock:
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

From an email sent to me by a friend:

The great sin -- Gossip.

The great crippler -- Fear.

The greatest mistake -- Giving up.

The most satisfying experience -- Doing your duty first.

The best action -- Keep the mind clear and judgment good.

The greatest blessing -- Good health.

The biggest fool - The man who lies to himself.

The great gamble -- Substituting hope for facts.

The most certain thing in life -- Change.

The greatest joy -- Being needed.

The most potent force -- Positive thinking.

The greatest thought -- God.

The greatest victory -- Victory over self.

The best play -- Successful work.

The greatest handicap -- Egotism.

The most expensive indulgence -- Hate.

The most dangerous man -- The liar

The most ridiculous trait -- False pride.

The greatest loss -- Loss of self confidence.

The greatest need -- Common sense.
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

A mail received from a friend which has really moved me. Do spare some of your valuable time to go through this story:

The train has started moving. It is packed with people of all ages, mostly with the working men and women and young college guys and gals. Near the window, seated an old man with his 30 year old son. As the train moves by, the son is overwhelmed with joy as he was thrilled with the scenery outside ...

"See Dad, the scenery of green trees moving away is very beautiful"

This behavior from a thirty year old son made the other people feel strange about him. Every one started murmuring something or other about this son." This guy seems to be a crack ..." newly married Anup whispered to his wife.

Suddenly it started raining ... Rain drops fell on the travelers through the opened window. The Thirty year old son, filled with joy "see dad, how beautiful the rain is ..." Anup's wife got irritated with the rain drops spoiling her new suit.

Anup, "cannot you see its raining, you old man. If your son is not feeling well get him soon to a mental asylum ... and don't disturb public henceforth".

The old man hesitated first and then in a low tone replied, "We are on the way back from hospital, my son got discharged today morning. He was blind by birth, last week only he got his vision. These rain and nature are new to his eyes. Please forgive us for the inconvenience caused ..."

The things we see may be right from our perspective until we know the truth. But when we know the truth our reaction to that will hurt even us. So try to understand the problem better before taking a harsh action.
bansy

Post by bansy »

I get on the bus almost each week regularly to go to a client's place, and at the same time and at the same stops, a number of passengers get on. These passengers are mentally disabled people, some with down's syndrome, others with speech disabilities. They have just finished their daily work at the special centre nearby, and are on their way home. Sometimes they mutter to themselves, sometimes they hum (out of tune), sometimes they fidget a lot. A times, the odd arm sticks up in the air when the bell rings. Sometimes they would glare at you for what seems like hours at a time, even when you stopped looking at them. But what is surprising is most of them seem to have a gentle smile on their faces, watching the scenery and people and cars go by. When they pass the bus conductor, they stick their bus pass almost right in his face ! They show so little harm, they never push or shove, they are somehow protected from the outside world through their simple innocence. Very carefree.

If their current situation is a result of their past karma, then would this mentally incapability thus be from good (su)karma rather than bad (vi)karma, after all I doubt if they really have anything to fear. Their troubles are not theirs, it's for those who have to care for them daily.

When the mentally handicapped are accepted as much in society, they really are harmless. Even if they feel pain, maybe they don't know what death is. Could it be the non-mentally disabled peoples of this world (i.e. anyone with an IQ>70) are the most dangerous :shock: .

A few stops later, there is also a centre for deaf children. As you can see, this bus journey for me is always an interesting ride.
paulkershaw
ex-BK
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I am an ex-teacher and member of the BKWSU and my interest lies in assisting those who request support on any level I can.

Post by paulkershaw »

bansy wrote:I ... But what is surprising is most of them seem to have a gentle smile on their faces, watching the scenery and people and cars go by. When they pass the bus conductor, they stick their bus pass almost right in his face ! They show so little harm, they never push or shove, they are somehow protected from the outside world through their simple innocence. Very carefree. If their current situation is a result of their past karma, then would this mentally incapability thus be from good (su)karma rather than bad (vi)karma, after all I doubt if they really have anything to fear. Their troubles are not theirs, it's for those who have to care for them daily.
Or perhaps they made an pre-incarnational agreement to get the rest of us into the mode of acceptance and compassion and are doing a good job of it. The Inner Child at play.

Now that's true surrender and service, eh?
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

The things we see may be right from our perspective until we know the truth. But when we know the truth our reaction to that will hurt even us. So try to understand the problem better before taking a harsh action.
Some years ago, I sent an email to ShivBaba (through Baba Virendra Dev Dixit) on behalf of a PBK mother, whose child is mentally challenged. But while writing to Baba, I referred to that child as 'mentally retarded'. When I forwarded Baba's reply to that that mother and when she read my mail, she must have felt hurt. She told me that her child is not mentally retarded but mentally challenged. I felt very bad for having hurt her feelings and said sorry to her. I regret that mistake till date. That was a lesson that I have learnt for the whole life.

I got a chance to be with her son on many occasions. He would recognize me whenever I met him and greet me joyfully. Many years ago when I planned to go on a picnic to a Dam along with some PBK friends, I offered to take him along on my responsibility. Although he gave me shivers when he tried to step into water while I was busy getting photographed at a little distance, he was very obedient and cooperative. Throughout the outing it was a test of soulconsciousness for me to be with him and interact with him as a soul.
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

From an email sent to me by a friend:
Gone are the days!!!

When the school reopened in June,
And we settled in our new desks and benches!
When we queued up in book depot,
And got our new books and notes!
When we wanted two Sundays and no Mondays,
Yet managed to line up daily for the morning prayers.

We learnt writing with slates and pencils, and
Progressed To fountain pens and ball pens and then Micro tips!
When we began drawing with crayons and evolved to
Color pencils and finally sketch pens!
When we started calculating
first with tables and then with
Clarke's tables and advanced to
Calculators and computers!

When we chased one another in the
corridors in Intervals, and returned to the classrooms
Drenched in sweat!
When we had lunch in classrooms, corridors, playgrounds,
Under the trees and even in cycle sheds!
When all the colors in the world,
Decorated the campus on the Second Saturdays!

When a single P.T. period in the week's Time Table,
Was awaited more eagerly than the monsoons!
When cricket was played with writing pads as bats,
And Neckties and socks rolled into balls!
When few played
"kabadi" and "Kho-Kho" in scorching sun,
While others simply played
"book cricket" in the
Confines of classroom!

Of fights but no conspiracies,
Of Competitions but seldom jealousy!
When we used to
watch Live Cricket telecast,
In the opposite house in Intervals and Lunch breaks!
When few rushed at 3:45 to
"Conquer" window seats in our School bus!
While few others had "Big Fun", "peppermint" ,
"kulfi", " milk ice !" and "sharbat !" at 4'O Clock!

Gone are the days
Of Sports Day,
and the annual School Day ,
And the one-month long
preparations for them.
Gone are the days
Of the stressful Quarterly,
Half Yearly and Annual Exams, And the most
enjoyed holidays after them!
Gone are the days
Of tenth and twelfth standards, when
We Spent almost the whole year writing revision tests!

We learnt,
We enjoyed,
We played,
We won,
We lost,
We laughed,
We cried,
We fought,
We thought.

With so much fun in them, so many friends,
So much experience, all this and more!
Gone are the days
When we used
to talk for hours with our friends!
Now we don't have time to say a 'Hi'!

Gone are the days
When we played games on the road!
Now we
Code on the road with laptop!
Gone are the days
When we saw stars
Shining at Night!
Now we see stars when our code doesn't work!

Gone are the days
When we sat to chat with Friends on grounds!
Now we chat in chat rooms....!

Gone are the days
Where we studied just to pass!
Now we study to save our job!
Gone are the days
Where we had no money in our pockets and still fun filled on our hearts!!
(this is what is still remembered very much)
Now we have the atm as well as credit card but with an empty heart!!
Gone are the days
Where we shouted on the road!
Now we don't shout even at home

Gone are the days
Where we got lectures from all!
Now we give lectures to all ... like the one I am doing now ...!!
Gone are the days
But not the memories, which will be
Lingering in our hearts for ever and ever and
Ever and ever and ever ...

Gone are the Days ... But still there are lot more Days to come in our Life!!

NO MATTER HOW BUSY YOU ARE ,
do not FORGET TO LIVE THE LIFE THAT STILL
EXISTS ...
paulkershaw
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I am an ex-teacher and member of the BKWSU and my interest lies in assisting those who request support on any level I can.

Post by paulkershaw »

Its' Creation that's happening, not Destruction: Read the full article; Nasa spots 'star factory'.

Telescopes looking back in time to more than 12 billion years ago have spotted a star factory - a galaxy producing so many new stars that they have nicknamed it the "baby boom" galaxy.
bansy

Post by bansy »

Still not too late for some of the older spiritual folks in the BK/non-BK world to have a crack at producing a potential baby Krishna, almost time for him to appear :D .

Woman in India 'has twins at 70'
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

A useful bit of information sent by a friend through email. I don't know if the information is 100% correct because I have also heard views varying from the information given below. So, it would be better if a 'doctor' member could second this information:
  • 7 do not's after a meal

* Don't smoke - Experiment from experts proves that smoking a cigarette after meal is comparable to smoking 10 cigarettes (chances of cancer is higher).
    * Don't eat fruits immediately - Immediately eating fruits after meals will cause stomach to be bloated with air. Therefore take fruit 1-2 hr after meal or 1hr before meal.
    * Don't drink tea - Because tea leaves contain a high content of acid. This substance will cause the Protein content in the food we consume to be hardened thus difficult to digest.
    * Don't loosen your belt - Loosening the belt after a meal will easily cause the intestine to be twisted & blocked.
    * Don't bathe - Bathing will cause the increase of blood flow to the hands, legs & body thus the amount of blood around the stomach will therefore decrease. This will weaken the digestive system in our stomach.
    * Don't walk about - People always say that after a meal walk a hundred steps and you will live till 99. In actual fact this is not true. Walking will cause the digestive system to be unable to absorb the nutrition from the food we intake.
    * Don't sleep immediately - The food we intake will not be able to digest properly. Thus will lead to gastric & infection in our intestine.
bansy

Post by bansy »

Here are some useful tips of how to use find time for thoughts in a busy day : No time to think?

They forgot to suggest as a tip for folks to come on into this forum and let your thoughts go. :D
paulkershaw
ex-BK

Post by paulkershaw »

A newspaper article regarding the rise of feminism and a bit if an ironic twist to it (but pertinent to some of the threads on the forum):

We live in a patriarchal world which males stupidly rule with their pointless wars, ridiculous sports and awful haircuts. Almost everything bad on this planet – from penis-shaped nukes to crippling women’s footware - has its roots in male domination. It’s an unjust and evil hegemony, and frankly, I blame women. Not all women, you understand. Just 99.999% of them.

The rest of it shows here: Women who suck – but not in a nice way
freedom
ex-BK

Post by freedom »

Sounds like an extremely gay view to me ... ;).