Interesting stories and information

for discussing science, relationships, religion or non-BK spirituality.
paulkershaw
ex-BK
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I am an ex-teacher and member of the BKWSU and my interest lies in assisting those who request support on any level I can.

Post by paulkershaw »

Nor is No 2 suitable for most (not all!) PBK/BKs ...
paulkershaw
ex-BK
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I am an ex-teacher and member of the BKWSU and my interest lies in assisting those who request support on any level I can.

Post by paulkershaw »

I am tired of talking about brownies and virtually no-one wanted to bite on my muffins, so I am going back to my banana info: Abek may be happy to read that I haven't let go of this and have been studying bananas no end, inside out:

This is interesting. After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in the same way again. Hmmmmmm, wonder how I looked at a banana before?

A professor at CCNY for a physiological psych class told his class about bananas. He said that the expression "going bananas" is from the effects of bananas on the brain. Read on but first know to never, never put your banana in the refrigerator!!!

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Apparently research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes. But energy is not the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia : High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, theUS Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey.. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

Heartburn: Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

Morning Sickness: Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria apparently found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronic cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see bananas as a "cooling" fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking. The B6, B12 they contain, as well as the potassium and magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, "A banana a day keeps the doctor away!"

PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! If you want to climb trees like a monkey, pick fleas and scratch your hairby back just like a monkey then you now know what to do ... eat a whole bunch at a time! Banana Gift Vouchers now available on-line - do send a bunch or two to your nearest cult centre.

I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe ... polish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit!!
alladin
Friends and family of

pesticides?

Post by alladin »

Docs say: alkalinity contrasts internal acidity which is the preferred environment for tumors. Potassium replenishes our system that may have lost salts through sweating due to heat or physical activities. But ...

What about the pesticides they use aboundantly on them? And the refrigeration? And the exploitation of workers on the plantations? Sorry to spoil the fun! :roll:. But I read horrible things about Del Monte, Chiquita & Co.!

Such a difference between a locally grown and ripened banana and a multinational one!! In truth, in the West, I force myself to eat them. Whereas, in the tropics, I can easily have a bunch of 6 or twelve, especially when many varieties are available.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Post by fluffy bunny »

Has to be true ... eat locally and seasonally whenever you can. Many illness occur amongst migrants because they attempt import to their diet rather than adopt to new environments.

I always thought that the so called "organic" foods ought to include a pollution rating for their transportation costs from where ever they came to where ever they are sold.

How can you call a fruit organic when it has been flown 5,000 miles and including the dumping of all that pollution on every one's fields/life? (Then wrapped in double the amount of hydro-carbon based plastics!).

BTW, how are they going to get rid of all the plastics in the landfill dumps before the Golden Age starts ... or is it safely hidden under the ground and the deities too stupid to look? May be they do not have to do any gardening or farming. "Out of sight, out of mind".
arjun
PBK
Affinity to the BKWSU: PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Post by arjun »

PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! If you want to climb trees like a monkey, pick fleas and scratch your hairby back just like a monkey then you now know what to do ... eat a whole bunch at a time! Banana Gift Vouchers now available on-line - do send a bunch or two to your nearest cult centre.
I met a former wrestler while exercising in the garden once and he said that if you want to build you body eat ripe bananas (with a glass of milk) in the day and to have good digestion eat an apple daily in the night. :) :P :lol:

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun
freedom
ex-BK

Post by freedom »

Eat your banana everyday (!!) ... but according to Ayurveda, they do not go with milk or any other fruit ... fruit is best by itself ... :wink:.
joel
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I was an active BK for 12 years. That was long ago. Now I am just a person.

Dried Bananas

Post by joel »

With a dehydrator, bananas can be transformed into an addictively delicious chewy candy with all of the euphoric tryptophanian benefits cited by paulkershaw. I cut the bananas in half longways, dry at 110 degrees F or so for about two days.
arjun
PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Post by arjun »

I cut the bananas in half longways, dry at 110 degrees F or so for about two days.
Near my office people buy bananas and get it cut half longways and fill it with black salt and pepper and eat it. That makes it much tastier. :D
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

Interesting thoughts sent to me by a friend through email:

"Opinions are like wrist watches. Everyone's watch may show different time from others. But, all believes that their time is correct." :D

Can we compare our labels on this forum with wrist watches? :wink:
freedom
ex-BK

Post by freedom »

We all have different opinions because we are all different (unique), how boring to think as a 'group' and not have diversity or contrasts of ideas ... that's how we got here now ... so many options, ideas, dreams, expectations ... life is much bigger if we see it with a broader perspective ... and as someone said : LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL !!!! :)
arjun
PBK

Re: Interesting stories and information

Post by arjun »

A useful piece of information received from a friend through email:

STROKE: Remember The 1st Three Letters ... S.T.R.

If everyone can remember something this simple, we could save some folks. Seriously ...

Please read:

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:
During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) ... she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening.

Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 pm Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die ... they end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this ...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke ... totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A STROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the "3" steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:
S * Ask the individual to SMILE.
T * Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. It is sunny out today)
R * Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other, that is also an indication of a stroke.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call a doctor immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people; you can bet that at least one life will be saved.
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

Interesting bits of information sent by a friend to me through email:

Here are some things you may not know...

1. Coca-Cola was originally green.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
2. The most common name in the world is Mohammed.
3. The name of all the continents ends with the same letter that they start with.
4. The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.
5. There are two credit cards for every person in the United States.
6. TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard.
7. Women blink nearly twice as much as men!
---------------------------------------------------------------------
8. You cannot kill yourself by holding your breath.
9. It is impossible to lick your elbow.
10. People say, "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a millisecond.
11. It is physically impossible for pigs to look up into the sky.
12. The "sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick" is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language.
13. If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib. If you try to suppress a sneeze; you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die.
14. Each king in a deck of playing cards represents great king from History. "Spades" - King David; "Clubs" - Alexander the Great; " Hearts" - Charlemagne; "Diamonds" - Julius Caesar.
15. 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321
16. If a statue of a warrior on a horse has both front legs In the air, the person died in battle. If the
Horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle. If the horse has an all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.
17 What do bullet proof vests, fire escapes, windshield wipers and Laser printers all have in common?
Ans. - All invented by women.
18. Honey - This is the only food that doesn't spoil.
19. A crocodile cannot stick its tongue out.
20. A snail can sleep for three years.
21. All polar bears are left-handed.
22. American Airlines saved $40,000 in 1987 by eliminating one olive From each salad served in first-class.
23. Butterflies taste with their feet.
24. Elephants are the only animals that can’t jump.
25. In the last 4000 years, no new animals have been domesticated.
26. On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.
27. Shakespeare invented the word 'assassination' and 'bump'.
28. Stewardesses are the longest word typed with only the left hand.
29. The ant always falls over on its right side when intoxicated.
30. The electric chair was invented by a dentist.
31. The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.
32. Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over million descendants.
33. Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
34. The cigarette lighter was invented before the match.
35. Most lipstick contains fish scales.
36. Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

An important mail received from a friend:

Subject: Drink MORE water to save your Life

DRINK WATER IN EMPTY STOMACH
It is popular in Japan today to drink water immediately after waking up every morning. Furthermore, scientific tests have proven its value. We publish below a description of use of water for our readers. For old and serious diseases as well as modern illnesses the water treatment had been found successful by a Japanese medical society as a 100% cure for the following diseases:

Headache, body ache, heart system, arthritis, fast heart beat, epilepsy, excess fatness, bronchitis asthma, TB, meningitis, kidney and urine diseases, vomiting, gastritis, diarrhea, piles, diabetes, constipation, all eye diseases, womb, cancer and menstrual disorders, ear nose and throat diseases.

METHOD OF TREATMENT
1. As you wake up in the morning before brushing teeth, drink 4 x 160ml glasses of water
2. Brush and clean the mouth but do not eat or drink anything for 45 minute
3. After 45 minutes you may eat and drink as normal.
4. After 15 minutes of breakfast, lunch and dinner do not eat or drink anything for 2 hours
5. Those who are old or sick and are unable to drink 4 glasses of water at the beginning may commence by taking little water and gradually increase it to 4 glasses per day.
6. The above method of treatment will cure diseases of the sick and others can enjoy a healthy life.

The following list gives the number of days of treatment required to cure/control/reduce main diseases:

1. High Blood Pressure (30 days)

2. Gastric (10 days)

3. Diabetes (30 days)

4. Constipation (10 days)

5. Cancer (180 days)

6. TB (90 days)

7. Arthritis patients should follow the above treatment only for 3 days in the 1st week, and from 2nd week onwards – daily.

This treatment method has no side effects, however at the commencement of treatment you may have to urinate a few times.
It is better if we continue this and make this procedure as a routine work in our life. Drink Water and Stay healthy and Active. This makes sense ... The Chinese and Japanese drink hot tea with their meals ... not cold water. Maybe it is time we adopt their drinking habit while eating!!! Nothing to lose, everything to gain ... For those who like to drink cold water, this article is applicable to you.

It is nice to have a cup of cold drink after a meal. However, the cold water will solidify the oily stuff that you have just consumed. It will slow down the digestion. Once this "sludge" reacts with the acid, it will break down and be absorbed by the intestine faster than the solid food. It will line the intestine. Very soon, this will turn into fats and lead to cancer. It is best to drink hot soup or warm water after a meal.

A serious note about heart attacks:

· Women should know that not every heart attack symptom is going to be the left arm hurting,

· Be aware of intense pain in the jaw line.

· You may never have the first chest pain during the course of a heart attack.

· Nausea and intense sweating are also common symptoms.

· 60% of people who have a heart attack while they are asleep do not wake up.

· Pain in the jaw can wake you from a sound sleep. Let's be careful and be aware. The more we know, the better chance we could survive ...

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this mail sends it to everyone they know, you can be sure that we'll save at least one life.

Please be a true friend and send this article to all your friends you care about
diiogenes
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I reregistered as diogenes on feb 27 -08, but cannot login.
I was the diogenes posting from 2006 as well.

Post by diiogenes »

A Vicar is tending the garden in the Vicarage.
A passerby stops to admire the garden's beauty, and comments
" You and God certainly have done a wonderful job here, Vicar!"
The Vicar replies," Yep. You should have seen it when just God had it."
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

An interesting story sent to me by a friend through email:

A giant ship engine failed. The ship's owners tried one expert after another, but none of them
could figure but how to fix the engine.

Then they brought in an old man who had been fixing ships since he was young. He carried a large bag of tools with him, and when he arrived, he immediately went to work. He inspected the engine very carefully, top to bottom.

Two of the ship's owners were there, watching this man, hoping he would know what to do. After looking things over, the old man reached into his bag and pulled out a small hammer. He gently tapped something. Instantly, the engine lurched into life. He carefully put his hammer away. The engine was fixed!

A week later, the owners received a bill from the old man for 1 lakh rupees.
"What?!" the owners exclaimed. "He hardly did anything!"

So they wrote the old man a note saying, "Please send us an itemized bill."

The man sent a bill that read:

Tapping with a hammer.... Rs. 20.00
Knowing where to tap.... Rs. 99,980.00

Effort is important, but knowing where to make an effort makes all the difference!