BKWSU Positive News

DEDICATED to BKs.
For those involved with the Brahma Kumaris, to discuss issues about the BKWSU in a free and open manner.
admin
Site Admin
Affinity to the BKWSU: Academic
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: General forum administration account

BKWSU Positive News

Post by admin »

BKWSU Positive News Guidelines - [This topic was created by a PBK, see below for the first post].

we request that all if copied form the internet all articles are accurately referenced with original addresses.
please make clear in your posts which individuals involved are BKs, or what their relative status to the organization is.
News from The Janki Foundation, Living Values network etc is not to be posted here unless it can be clarified if these are straight forward BKWSU operations.

Any critical discussion of said events to be taken elsewhere. Thank you.
arjun
PBK
Affinity to the BKWSU: PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

BK Positive News

Post by arjun »

Om Shanti. Since there is a general impression among the BKs that this forum is largely anti-BK (which is not actually true), we are starting this thread in the BK section where any BK or non-BK can post positive news about the BKs.
Regards,
OGS,
Arjun
arjun
PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Post by arjun »

Excerpts from an article titled "Brahma Kumaris Story" written by Jeff von Kaenel, President/CEO of News and Review in Sacramento, USA published in the January edition of the 'Purity' magazine of BKs:
"First I enjoyed meeting the staff, who had wonderful stories about how Brahma Kumaris changed their lives. The volunteers mentioned that meditation helped them turn off repetitive negative thoughts in their mind and allowed them to focus on the here and now, improving relationships with their families and within their lives. Brother Ram Prakash, told me how meditation might have saved his life on 9/11, as he calmly made his way down the stairs of one of the World Trade Centers before it collapsed. He is now so focussed on helping other people, something he clearly attributed to his BK experiences. These stories moved me."
amaranthine
BK

Personal experiences of BK charity

Post by amaranthine »

Taken from http://www.givingspace.org from a paper titled:

Trustraising and Transformation; When it comes to giving, some people will stop at nothing
A Trip to India
A few months later, I had the opportunity to visit some villages in Rajastan, India shortly after the Ahmedabad earthquake. Thirteen timezones away, it was about as far away from my home and lifestyle in California as was humanly possible. My guide on this trip was Dr. Vinay Laxshmi, an English-trained physician who had returned to Mt. Abu, Rajastan, as part of the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University. Her dedication to the poor villagers was complete and unmistakable.

I had been pestered by many other children on the streets of India, and was expecting to fend them off when we walked into a schoolyard. Vinay, wearing a spotless white sari, floated like an angel held to earth by the children flocking about her, grasping for a finger to hold. I plodded through the dirt and dust, but the overflow of happy children spilled over to me.

My heart melted as a young girl’s hand closed around my finger. I looked down at her, and she responded with the most loving, happy eyes. Tugging me across the schoolyard, she overflowed with the authority of innocence. Despite the poverty and adversity, I saw the same vitality and jubilation I saw in my granddaughters’ eyes.

She led me to the lunch area, where the children sat, patiently waiting in lines with their bowls. I had the honor of serving them each a ladle of milk. As I did, each of them looked up to thank me with their eyes in the Indian custom of drishti. After about three of these encounters, I was having difficulty keeping my tears out of the milk. They were tears of the joy I saw reflected in their uplifted faces. But they were also tears of recognition of the power of generosity and compassion.

Some things we can receive only by giving.

They were also tears of recognition of how much more wonderful the world would be if everyone could feel this way. What if, as the Dali Lama suggests, we would measure our wealth by our ability to give? What if the world could see that even in the most dire circumstances, happiness, love, and peace can happen?

I possessed unimaginable economic wealth compared to these people. The teacher would have to spend three month’s salary to buy the sandals I was wearing. Yet these people were giving something to me. Was there some way to communicate this personal transformation to the rest of the world? Surely this transformational energy was the stuff to change the world.

Tears of joy soon turned to tears of sorrow at the next stop of my tour-turned-pilgrimage. A young mother was holding a two-pound, two week old premature baby. Vinay stood on one side, trying to get the parents to bring the baby to the hospital for free medical treatment. The Father stood on the other side, glowering at us. He was opposed to trying to save her life, because she was a girl. Girl-children are liabilities. Having two daughters and two granddaughters, I was speechless at the implications of his behavior. Although I didn’t know it at the time, the click of my camera shutter marked the beginning of GivingSpace.

The mother held her baby as if it were a statue. I had thought that maternal love was a hallmark of humanity, yet somehow it had been drained out of her. She was merely doing a duty. What she was doing to her baby, she was also doing to herself. I imagine a little bit of her died later that afternoon when her baby died. What happened to me? Could I witness these scenes in the grand drama of life, and then file them away as hit-and-run touristic souvenirs?

No, they were they calling me to Do Something.

Were those young girls in the schoolyard doomed to have their vitality and jubilation drained out of them, or was there some hope that things could get better? Was there some way that I could provide that hope? In my professional and personal development over the past 30 years, was there something that I learned or obtained which could be applied to this situation? If so, was there something that I could share with the world that could help humanity?

I visited Vinay’s office the next morning on my way home. I gave here 10 pounds of stuff in my luggage that I thought would be valuable for local people, which didn’t seem so valuable to me any more. I gave her some money to buy fabric for women to sew into clothes to sell, and she said, “This is all very good, but you need to do something more with your thoughts. Think of something big, really big.”

Not used to being told to think bigger, I had plenty of time to think on my 48 hour trip home. I wished that people in rich countries could see what an incredible opportunity they have to be generous. A vitamin tablet for a few cents could restore a child’s eyesight; for less than the price of a cup of coffee they could buy some oral rehydration solution could save an infants’s life. The world was suffering from a failure communication and trust, not a lack of generosity or compassion and authority to try to force it to happen. What we need to create is a path of least resistance to ever-increasing virtue. Create it, and people will come.

I also came to the realization that transformation was an issue at many different levels simultaneously, from personal, to family, to community, to nations, to governments, multilateral institutions, and emerging technology. Rather than look at transformation being 7 different problems, I envisioned it as one problem happening at 7 different levels. Is there a scalable form of transformation?

This is a profound question, whose answers are just now becoming apparent with the advent of the World Wide Web and global connectivity. It reaches into notions of complexity theory and the ways that networks can organize themselves. Research into notions of trust and social networks emerging from electronic commerce is also applicable to this quest. Electronic forms of community are sprouting up, and new technologies, such as XML, allow us create a linguistic shell within which we can create speech communities of positive discourse.
amaranthine
BK

Post by amaranthine »

Taken from http://holistichappenings.com website
Hands-on Tsunami Relief Effort - Brahma Kumaris (BK) Meditation Center

The following is from a daily report on relief efforts performed by Brahma Kumaris Worldwide and Global Hospital.

January 4th Tsunami Disaster Relief Report

Greetings sisters and brothers, last night we reached beautiful Pondicherry Center and this morning began distributing supplies.

Physical Supplies: Each person received a bucket containing cooking vessels, plates and cutlery, a floor carpet and pamphlets explaining the fundamentals of Raja Yoga. Some received multiple buckets depending on the needs of their family. Local families helped to verify those in genuine need, ensuring authenticity. Buckets were given to each of the 250 to 300 families, depending on their needs. Further distribution will include a stove, dry food stores and clothing.

Spiritual Support: The sisters here are dedicated to providing spiritual, as well as physical support. In fact, the first spiritual intervention the Brahma Kumaris had with local people was less then 48 hours after the incident when local families gathered at the Pondicherry Gita Pathshala to receive spiritual support and some understanding as to how to deal with the devastation.

The Brahma Kumaris are very actively participating in the region, and in particular visiting the most severely damaged areas in India. The atmosphere of confusion and sorrow dominates, and it was reported that everywhere there was a tangible feeling of unrest. Relief efforts are also being pursued vigorously in: Madurai, Nagapattinam and Chennal. Stories of great personal tragedy abound, and the BK Sisters and Brothers are providing counseling and spiritual sustenance, as well as the offer of long-term support for the victims.

Housing: a fundamental step to give people back a sense of physical security and stability is part of the BK plans. This effort will also depend on available funds.

Donations: are being received and every penny is being used for food, cooking equipment, clothing and bedding for people who have literally lost everything. j

For more information on the services being provided by Brahma Kumaris and how your can help, contact the local Brahma Kumaris (BK) Meditation Center (916) 922-7281 or (916) 564-4010. Email: [email protected].

ALL DONATIONS ARE TAX DEDUCTIBLE
amaranthine
BK

Post by amaranthine »

taken from http://www.tribuneindia.com website
Brahma Kumaris adopt village
Our Correspondent

Mohali, January 27
Kambali village, near here, has been adopted as the first village of Punjab under a novel project “Call of the time — swachh, swarnim, gramin Bharat” by the Prajapati Brahma Kumaris Ishwariya Vishwa Vidyalaya.

A large number of Brahma Kumaris and Brahma Kumars went to different corners of the village and cleaned the streets and other localities. Villagers were inspired to keep their homes, streets clean in order to save themselves from the spread of diseases.

BK Meena, In charge of the Rural Development wing of Mohali Ropar circle, inaugurated the project and said that all efforts would be made by Brahma Kumaris to develop the village as a model with the cooperation of villagers.

BK Prem, In charge of centres in Ropar district, said here today that the first phase of the project was launched yesterday. The aim of launching the project was to implement numerous programmes of cleanliness, health awareness, drug de-addiction etc.
bansy
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK

Post by bansy »

Thanks Arjunbhai for setting up this topical thread.
amaranthine
BK

Post by amaranthine »

Taken from BBC website
School pupils learn to meditate by Melissa Jackson, BBC News education reporter

Global retreat centre

This is the school's temporary home. In our stress-filled world, how about a spot of meditation to start the day, which begins at 0845 and ends at 1230? It might seem like a remote fantasy, but this is the routine for 60 primary school pupils who have been relocated to a global retreat centre since their school burnt down two weeks ago.

The centre is based in a listed, 18th century Palladian mansion, set in 55 acres of prime countryside, at Nuneham Courtney, just outside Oxford, with gardens landscaped by Capability Brown. It is a world away from the Victorian village school they have been forced to vacate. The fire and the aftermath had a huge impact on staff and pupils of Marsh Baldon Church of England primary school.

After the fire, there was a huge sense of loss, like a bereavement, some of the staff came to my house in tears Alison Barne, chair of board of governors. Board of governors chair Alison Barne said: "The whole episode was emotionally disruptive. The pupils' thoughts echoed their teachers' anguish.

"My mum told me there was no school, and I thought, 'Cool' - but then I felt quite sad," said one boy.

"I was worried about where we were going to go and that we might all get split up and go to different schools," said a girl.

Education continuity.

Head teacher Jo Capel Davies said: "The children have mixed feelings about the fire and some have mixed feelings about being here. "Some of them want to get back to school now and some of the staff want to go back now and get back to normal." But that is impossible. One classroom was completely destroyed in the fire, with the loss of text books, course work and teaching aids. A second classroom, was so badly damaged, it is unlikely anything can be salvaged.

Other schools in the area have donated books and teaching materials to enable lessons to continue, although with a twist, courtesy of the retreat centre, which came to their rescue when they were made homeless. Each day starts with a short burst of meditation, organised by a retreat centre member of staff. This can involve focusing on a subject like love or peace. Mrs Capel Davies said: "I asked if the children could have five minutes of quiet time at the beginning of the day." On the hour, every hour, the centre pipes 90 seconds of meditational music around the building to encourage everyone to take time out and reflect on other matters.

Parents' approval

The global retreat centre is administered by the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University, based in India. Its regular students are strictly over 18 and attend courses to develop their "spiritual knowledge", which includes meditation and learning the benefits of stress-free living, self-esteem and positive thinking. The organisation has no fixed religious leanings, although its roots are in the Hindu faith. Parents were told 'they're not going to force anything on your children, they're not a strange religious group'

Jo Capel Davies, head teacher

It may seem a bit outlandish, and one might expect parents to be slightly cautious about their children being exposed to a strange spiritual world, but it seems that is not the case. Mrs Capel Davies said: "Parents were a bit curious about how it would work, but we had a meeting after the fire and an educational psychologist came along and the parents were told 'they're not going to force anything on your children, they're not a strange religious group'." The children have also embraced the concept of meditation.

"It's nice and relaxing," said one girl.

"I think it makes me feel peaceful all day long," said another.

The centre has enjoyed helping the school through this difficult patch.

Sister Manda said: "A lot of people don't know what we do here, so it was nice to open our doors so that people could see for themselves. "And parents haven't said anything about being nervous of our group ramming ideas down their throats."

Community support

The centre is two-and-a-half miles away from the school, which has caused a few problems for parents who do not have cars, but families have rallied round and a car-share scheme has swung into action. Ending lessons half way through the day has also posed difficulties, especially for working parents, but this has prompted the local community to come to the rescue.

An "activity club" operates every afternoon in the village hall, which is attended by around 90% of pupils. A coach collects the children from the centre at 1230 and takes them to the village hall where they have lunch and take part in various activities, including art, games and a homework club.

Music class

It is organised by parents and friends of the school, who live in the village. Although the fire has disrupted the lives of staff and pupils, it has encouraged a very positive attitude in the community. Mrs Barne said: "I think the school has become stronger as a result of the fire and the community around the school has become stronger. "It has put the school back into the heart of the community."

It is going to be hard to return to temporary classrooms on 21 March after experiencing such incredible surroundings, but they will not be leaving it all behind. The head is keen to maintain some of the new approaches they have learned, including playing music throughout the school at the top of every hour, be it Mozart, Vivaldi, or whatever is most appropriate.

Maybe they will start a new trend.
amaranthine
BK

Post by amaranthine »

Taken from http://www.newsreview.com website
SPIRITUAL LIFE CENTER

Since the Spiritual Life Center’s (SLC) inception in November 1998, the church has tithed 10% of its monthly gross income to support over 175 local non-profit organizations who help to feed, clothe, shelter and provide social services to those less fortunate. In 2002, SLC presented a $40,000 sponsorship check to the Sacramento Habitat for Humanity affiliate for a new home construction for a low-income family. Working together with the Brahma Kumaris Meditation Center, the Buddhist Peace Fellowship, the Sacramento Area League of Associated Muslims (SALAM), and the Sikh Temple of West Sacramento, their Interfaith home build is underway at the corner of 14th Avenue and 39th Street in Oak Park.

In May 2003, SLC also sponsored a Rebuilding Together home project and over 200 SLC volunteers worked to restore the home of an elderly Oak Park resident. SLC’s mission is to love, serve and remember and the choir has participated in all three A Call for Unity events. Last year they were voted “the best church choir in Sacramento” by Sacramento Magazine. As active participants of the Building Unity project, the church is committed to helping transform the Sacramento community. Their vision is that all the faith community will join hand-in-hand to work together to build affordable housing as we build unity.
amaranthine
BK

Post by amaranthine »

From a presentation by: Julia Häusermann, MBE, President of "Rights and Humanity"

The International Movement for the Promotion and Realisation of Human Rights and Responsibilities

http://www.swan.ac.uk/cds/pdffiles/Juli ... tation.pdf
In 2003, we adopted the Rights and Humanity Principles of Responsibility
(see Annex 1) representing a set of seven simple principles building on the
core principles of human rights and values shared by faiths and cultures
globally. Signed by our Patrons - His Holiness the Dalai Lama, Archbishop
Emeritus Desmond Tutu, HRH Prince El Hassan bin Talal of Jordan, Dadi
Janki, Co-Administrative Head of the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual
University
and Sir Sigmund Sternberg – these provide a guide for individuals
to integrate human rights principles into their corporate, professional and daily
lives.
abrahma kumar
Friends and family of

Post by abrahma kumar »

Positive news ...?
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

Om Shanti. I don't know if this is positive news for the ex-BKs or not, but I feel that it should be of interest at least to those BKs who do not get the latest Avyakt Vais.

In the latest Avyakt Vani narrated by BapDada on the eve of Shivjayanti, he has spoken to an International Mothers Group. I feel this is indeed a positive step, more positive than the floral decoration group.

"Chitra bahut achha banaa letey hain, yah inho kee visheshata hai. Achha banaatey hain. Dekho itnee mothers agar ek-ek mother jagatmata ban jaaye, vritti say har samay, har sankalp may har mata jagatmata kay swaroop may sthit ho jaaye toh kitney vibrations world may milengey. kyonki Maa kee bhaavana jaldi pahunchtee hai. Toh jitnee bhi mothers khadee hui hain, har samay apney jagat kay bachhon ko, bhaiyon ko vibration deti raho. Jaisey Maa pyaar say bachhon kee paalnaa kartee, aisey aap sabhi ko bachhey samajh kay paalna karo. Vibration failaao."

"They make very nice pictures; this is their speciality. They make it nicely. Look, if so many mothers, if each mother becomes a world mother, if every mother becomes constant in the form of a world mother every time through the vibrations, in every thought, then the world would receive so many vibrations, because the wishes of mothers touch very quickly. So all the mothers, who are standing, keep giving vibrations to your children of the world, to your brothers all the time. Just as a mother takes care of the child lovingly, similarly you take care of everyone considering them to be children. Spread the vibrations."

The above Avyakt Vani also contains a mention about the service project of the BKs of Russia, which involves service of 150 cities covering a distance of 50000 Kilometers.

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

Om Shanti. I don't know if this is a positive news or not, but it is definitely a DIFFERENT news.

The February Edition of the Purity magazine has published a group photograph of participants in Third Asian Regional Space Settlement Design Competition organised by NASA at Om Shanti Retreat Centre (ORC) (which is located at Manesar, adjoining Delhi as far as I know).

From the photograph all the participants seem to be children/youth.

So our brothers and sisters have added a new dimension to 'universal' service.

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun
jannisder
Friends and family of

Post by jannisder »

Involvement with NASA???

Maybe they want to design a bomb incognito to set off and get the date of Destruction right this time. :lol: :lol:
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Post by fluffy bunny »

jannisder wrote:Involvement with NASA???
Overstated as usual. The BKs organized and sponsored the event. I cannot see what the direct connection with NASA is at all but they were designing space cities for 10,000. May be he is going to design the Golden Aged palaces? Out of respect for the BK section and "positive news", I will not make my comments here but have elsewhere.

Oh, look ... teams had to pay to enter a BKWSU sponsored event and the convenor's Patiala Team was one of the winners!
All the Asian registrants are also required to send the "Hard Copy (Printed)" of the completed form and a demand draft of Rs. 2000 (for Indian Teams) and $60 (for foriegn Teams) drawn in favour of 'RajYoga Education & Research Foundation' payable at New Delhi, India to the follwing
Address: Abhishek Agarwal
C/O Dr. Maneek Kumar
Civil Engineering Department,
Thapar Technology Campus
Patiala -147 004, Punjab, India
$45 Dollars must be quite a lot for an Indian team.