[Policy] Forum feedback and changes

bansy
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK

Post by bansy »

I think I understand the non-necessity of having members names on the first page (prior Logging in), as we should not reply to posts simply by who is responding.

However, it may be useful to have the time shown with the date, since the forum is used by all folks around the world. Thanks.
admin
Site Admin
Affinity to the BKWSU: Academic
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: General forum administration account

Post by admin »

bansy wrote:I think I understand the non-necessity of having members names on the first page (prior Logging in), as we should not reply to posts simply by who is responding. However, it may be useful to have the time shown with the date, since the forum is used by all folks around the world.
Bansy correctly identified another element we wished to encourage.

If you wish to change the way the date, and timezone, is shown for yourself, you can do so in your 'Profile'. The default has been set to GMT and "d M Y" - which is (date, month, year).

You can reset this to; "D M d, Y g:i a" which is (day, date, month, year, hours and minutes) as before and save the changes. Only you will see in this way after logging in. Instructions are given on how to customise this on the profile page.

Individuals' post can still be found via their profile. I would appreciate individual's response to using the 'New posts' function and whether this does the required job.

A certain degree of compromise is required by contributors as we also have to consider how the site is seen, and archived, by search engines so that new individuals can find there way here.
admin
Site Admin
Affinity to the BKWSU: Academic
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: General forum administration account

Post by admin »

bro neo wrote:Bloody hell, some one changed what I wrote..again. I originally said I had 2 references. The bulk of the original quotes from above are from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plato's_cave
a) Yes, from time to time the forum software duplicates posts. It is a known bug but not a major enough one for us to attempt to fix right now.

b) With regards to changes made to your posts, firstly, can I make it clear that although posts are moderated for spelling and formatting, the content is never changed. Your links were fixed.

You can edit your own post for up to one hour after posting. After that, please contact admin or a moderator. If you can point out the correction, we can make it. To make a quote, use;

Code: Select all

[quote="the author"]Your text[/quote]
with no return/space above or below it.

c) You can see above that, for some reason, the URL you put on the forum breaks. This also happens regularly. It is the apostrophe or underscore that does it. With a long URL, or in an incident like this, use a service such as tinyurl.com to convert it. This was changed but to link to the same place.

To understand the code and how to lay out a link, see here;

Code: Select all

[url=http://www.yourlinkgoes.com/here][b]The Name of your Link[/b][/url]
This makes a link like this; The Name of your Link
abrahma kumar
Friends and family of

The new look BrahmaKumaris.Info Forum front page

Post by abrahma kumar »

Hi, just to say that I find the look and layout of the new forum front page agreeable.

Such developments convey to us users (and hopefully the www at large) that there is both life and postive progressive energy in the place; notwithstanding the pending legal action etc, etc.

Thank you all & much power to you so that you are able keep up the good work as long as the will prevails.

Regards
Abek
freedom
ex-BK

Post by freedom »

I loved it too !! cheers !! 8)
pilatus
non-BK

Post by pilatus »

Dear admin - I'd just like to add my vote of thanks to those of abek and freedom. I really like the new structure, facilities, look-and-feel of the forum. Thank you so much for your continuing improvements during a time which might have been a bit distracting?!
john
Reforming BK

Post by john »

Very Spiffing 8).
arjun
PBK
Affinity to the BKWSU: PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Post by arjun »

Dear Admin,

Hello. Can I/we have one or two smileys (I hope the spelling is correct) of flowers/bouquets in addition to the 20 smileys that already exist???? :?

I will need these flowers very soon while posting my replies :D :lol: .

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun