Dharna ... use and root of the word?

Mainly DEDICATED to Ex-BKs.
A neutral forum for congenial discussions and reservations related to the Godly Knowledge between ALL parties.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Dharna ... use and root of the word?

Post by fluffy bunny »

Hi.

How do you understand the meaning of the word Dharna within BKism.

How, in your understanding, did its use come about, and how does that relate to the original meaning or root of the word?

Thanks.

(* I understand the original meaning in Hindi to be a fast or picket. I am wondering if the early BKs confused it with dharana or dharma).
sita
Affinity to the BKWSU: PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I would like to take part in healthy discussion on topics of knowledge, sharing with fellow souls, for common benefit.

Re: Dharna ... use and root of the word?

Post by sita »

arjun
PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Post by arjun »

Om Shanti. The word 'dhaarnaa' is coined from the word 'dhaaran' (धारण)
The word 'dhaaran' means 'to hold' in a literal sense. But for the BKs/PBKs 'dhaaran' means 'to imbibe'. And 'dhaarnaa' also means 'to imbibe/inculcate'. And it has become synonymous with inculcation of virtues or knowledge in BK/PBK terms.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Post by fluffy bunny »

Thank you.

I suspected it might come from "dhāraṇā" (from Sanskrit) which is one of the 8 "Limbs" or stages of Patanjali's Ashtanga Raja Yoga. The 8 Limbs, I am guessing, the BKs also adopted at some point to become the 8 Powers.

So it's a use the of the words unique to BKs that ordinary Hindi speakers would not use?

Do we know who and when it was introduced as an idea?

Is there no influence of the other more normal meaning ... a sort of strike or picket to get something you want, like as in Gandhism, e.g. BK "fasting" from normal society's interactions and behaving in a good way?

In Patanjali's Raja Yoga it seems to means more of "concentration", particularly concentration on the Ajna chakra positioned directly behind the center of the forehead or at the position of the "third eye" (the space between the two eyebrows). It more mental.

From who, when and where did the idea of the 4 Subjects arise?

I apologise for so many questions but I am interested in the history of ideas.
sita
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I would like to take part in healthy discussion on topics of knowledge, sharing with fellow souls, for common benefit.

Post by sita »

I think the four subjects arise from the Murlis.
arjun
PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Post by arjun »

fluffy-bunny wrote:So it's a use the of the words unique to BKs that ordinary Hindi speakers would not use?
The word 'dharana' as understood by the BKs is not in the same sense by the general speakers of Hindi language, but the word 'dhaaran' is definitely used in terms of inculcation of any particular kind of virtue.
Do we know who and when it was introduced as an idea?....From who, when and where did the idea of the 4 Subjects arise?
I am not aware. But probably these subjects emerged during the time of bhatti where the senior sisters used to teach the small children who came with their families in the beginning of the Yagya. Perhaps Om Radhey Mama had a role in this evolution of subjects.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU

Post by fluffy bunny »

arjun wrote: ... but the word 'dhaaran' is definitely used in terms of inculcation of any particular kind of virtue.
Which word in Hindi is that? Is it spelt the same? Is it the meaning "to hold" ... or how is it commonly used?

In English, the BKs often used "imbibe" which means to drink in.

Inculcate means "instill (an attitude, idea, or habit) by persistent instruction".

Thank you.

I am trying to remember how and when the "4 subjects" arose ... wasn't it from the 4 objects that Visnu carried in his hands? E.g. chakra (knowledge), mace (Yoga), lotus (darna), conch (service).

I also wondered if there was a confusion between the BK use of dharna and dharma (meaning dharma good behavior considered to be in accordance with one's position in life etc).