Unraveling the history of Lekhraj Kripalani's partner

To discuss the BK and PBK versions of the factual Yagya history from the beginning.
T.K
Affinity to the BKWSU: Academic
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: Understand the historical facts of the organization.

The PBK prediction that did not come to pass

Post by T.K »

In the early 2000s the PKB-related site (which I believe was www.ShivBaba.com or www.ShivBaba.org, and now seems to be under www.pbk.info) had a page that showed that BK and PBKs will merge in 2007 and become a single family with the revelation of Shiva through Virendra Dev Dixit.
I wonder if any one here remembers that and whether the fact that it did not happen has been explained by PBKs.
Thanks,
T.K
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Re: The PBK prediction that did not come to pass

Post by fluffy bunny »

Do you mean ... http://www.PBKs.info ?

I am also interested to know of any PBK predictions and how their "failure" is explained. I understand the that BKs ones, e.g. 1976, are generally described as a misunderstanding by the BKs. How did Virendra Dev Dixit explain 1950?

Thanks.
T.K
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: Understand the historical facts of the organization.

Unraveling the history of Lekhraj Kripalani's partner

Post by T.K »

I am fascinated by the history of the BK movement, especially its early years. Recently I was contemplating on some parts of that period as explained by PBKs. I reached a startling conclusion, which I am sharing here.

I am going to use the following 3 documents to describe the events:
[1] English transcript of PBK “VCD No.200, Audio Cassette No. 677, Dated 15.2.05, at Chandigarh MM. Clarification of Murli date 7.5.66 (for new BKs)”.
[2] PBK English publication, “A Wonderful Biography [Revised August 2009]”.
[3] OM Mandli Bhaibund Committee Report, 1st Nov. 1938

PBK claims (actual text copied verbatim from the documents has been put within quotes. Italicized text in parenthesis within quotes is inserted by me to remove any ambiguity):
(1) As per [1] Lekhraj Kriplani narrated his visions to two “mothers”. One of the “mothers” relayed them to Lekhraj Kirpalani's partner. “The partner heard and simultaneously understood it as well...”. “He (i.e. Lekhraj Kirpalani) came to know through the partner that he was going to become Krishna”.
(2) As per [2] “This family (i.e. the partner and the two mothers) established by God in a corporeal form, moved back from Calcutta to Sindh- Hyderabad and later on, from there to Karachi. Over there, after becoming the corporeal media for Shiva, the partner as well as the mother and the other lady (the two mothers) left their bodies..”

Claims in Om Mandli Bhaibund Committee Report (OMBCR)
(3) The Committee (OMBC) was constituted in May 1938.
(4) “His (Lekhraj Kirpalani's) partner who was with him for 20-25 years informs us that at the time of closing his business (4 years ago) he spent Rs 10,000/- in Benares to receive training under a Sadhu in spiritualism for a few weeks which in truth is hypnotism.”
(5) Lekhraj Kirpalani and Om Mandli moved from Hyderabad to Karachi in the 1st or 2nd week of October 1938.
(6) The report was published on Nov 1 1938

Inferences from PBK claims:
1. The Partner understood Lekhraj Kirpalani was going to be Krishna.
2. The Partner knew what visions Lekhraj Kirpalani saw.
3. The Partner moved to Hyderabad and from there to Karachi with Lekhraj Kirpalani and acted as corporeal media for Shiva in Karachi.

Inferences from OMBCR
4. Between May 1938 and Nov. 1 1938 OMBC contacted the Partner. It is likely they described the events taking place in Hyderabad and questioned him about Lekhraj Kirpalani's character.
5. OMBC contacted members of Om Mandli and got information from them.

Assertions based on above facts:
  • 1. Lekhraj Kirpalani had only one partner in Calcutta (there is no mention of a 2nd partner in any document).
    2. One can imagine that Om Mandli members had good things to say about Lekhraj Kirpalani.
    3. But OMBCR contains not a single evidence that is pro-Lekhraj Kirpalani.
    4. OMBCR contacted the Partner before Om Mandli moved to Karachi.
    5. If the Partner knew of the visions and that Lekhraj Kirpalani was going to be Krishna and that he “understood” all of this, it is highly unlikely he would tell the OMBC that Lekhraj Kirpalani went to Benares 4 years ago to seek “training” from a Sadu (let us assume that the Partner did not add the hypnotism part). Instead it is highly likely that he would have told OMBC that Lekhraj Kirpalani was in fact a divine being. He would have spoken very forcefully in favor of Lekhraj Kirpalani even if he had told them about the Benares incident.
    Imagine the exchange between the Partner and OMBC. The partner knows about Lekhraj Kirpalani, he is being questioned about Lekhraj Kirpalani's character. His mind is likely to be completely occupied in defending Lekhraj Kirpalani instead of digging out unrelated events and sharing them.
    Of course, anything positive from the Partner would not find a mention in the OMBCR. But why would the Partner provide fuel to OMBC? Remember, as per (2) the Partner is in Hyderabad with the Om Mandli at this time, acting as the corporeal Chariot of Shiva.
Conclusion
Based on the statement in OMBCR (4) I can only conclude that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that Lekhraj Kirpalani's partner understood that Lekhraj Kirpalani was going to be Krishna or understood the meaning of Lekhraj Kirpalani's vision. Therefore it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY he explained the visions to Lekhraj Kirpalani as claimed in (1).

(Please note that I don't have anything against Virendra Dev Dixit, PBKs, BKs, or anyone else. I have not met any PBK or other BK-offshoot parties. I am an academic historian engaged in piecing together events of the past.)

I will be happy to hear from others about evidences that weaken or strengthen my conclusion. I will give due credit to the individuals when I incorporate their contributions.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Re: Unraveling the history of Lekhraj Kripalani's partner

Post by fluffy bunny »

Is this research for the BKWSU ... and have you manage to gain the trust or penetrate the defences of the BKWSU sufficiently in order to ask them to resolve the anomalies in the reported and evidenced history?

You'll need persistence and a good BS filter to do so ... and if you are going to crack this one, you will have to move fast as all the individuals who were there at the time are a) under the control of the BKWSU for their daily welfare (and hence unlikely to speak out) and b) dying off. Very, very shortly all we will be left with are second and third generation individuals who were not there at the time and are just parroting the stories they have been told to tell.

Having studied this area a little but, the biggest stumbling block I see is around ...
"(2) As per [2] “This family (i.e. the partner and the two mothers) established by God in a corporeal form, moved back from Calcutta to Sindh - Hyderabad and later on, from there to Karachi. Over there, after becoming the corporeal media for Shiva, the partner as well as the mother and the other lady (the two mothers) left their bodies..”
So far we have not found any evidence at all to suggest there was mention of Shiva until after 1950 ... neither within the BKWSU nor any breakaway group ... and, in the beginning, there was no mention of a personal god therefore we need better descriptions of what was going on at the time.

The answer I have received in the past, using various Murli quotes to justify it, is that "no one can tell when Shiva entered (... because he was so subtle)" and therefore people were speaking things thinking they were saying it when in fact it must have been Shiva saying it ... a very loose explanation indeed.
T.K

Post by T.K »

fluffy bunny,
You raise valid points about BKWSU being aware of Shiva in early years. I have some thoughts on that and will share them in a separate thread.
However, in this thread I want to focus on the historical claims of PBK - at least one of which does not appear to hold based on a document available from that time.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU

Post by fluffy bunny »

T.K wrote:You raise valid points about BKWSU being aware of Shiva in early years.
Or rather, I valid points about BKWSU NOT being aware of Shiva in early years ... I would say it is ultimately relevant as all of the base materials or evidence the AIVV depends on comes from a limited selection of documents from the BKWSU.

One question that remains unanswered for me is that in "Is This Justice?" by Om Radhe, the partner Narain Shewakram (spell?) is on the side of Bhaibund and has turned against the Om Mandli and contrary to both versions owes Lekhraj Kirpalani money. Someone recently suggest that there was another Sevakram but I have not seen anything about them.
T.K

Post by T.K »

Thanks for correcting me - "..BKWSU NOT being aware of Shiva in early years..."

As per "Is This Justice", one Narain Shewakram appears to be the secretary of the Om Mandli Bhaibund Committee (circa July 5, 1938).
But if you look at the back page of the Om Mandli Bhaibund Committee Report, one Ladharam Durgadas Bharwani seems to be the secretary of the Om Mandli Bhaibund Committee (Nov. 1, 1938).
There may have been a change in personnel.

If Narian Shewakram is the same as the Sevakram, the partner that PBK talk about, then the PBK claim that the Partner joined Om Mandli is false.

If Narian Shewakram is not the same as Sevakram, the Partner that PBK talk about, which is perhaps more likely (I will say more on this later), then:
As per the list of Om Mandli members that appears to have been provided by Om Radhe on July 4 1938, there is no adult male Sevakram. There is one Jamna Shewakram Daryanani who is a woman and there are 4 kids with the middle name Shewakram.
Again, no trace that Sevakram was part of the Om Mandli in July 1938, when, as per PBK, he was with them.

To some this flaw in PBK account of history may be fatal. This is not a prediction of the future gone wrong. This is an account of the past that does not match up.

fluffy bunny,
I recall reading in one of the documents that someone owed Lekhraj money. Would you happen to recall exactly where it is mentioned? Thanks.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU

Post by fluffy bunny »

T.K wrote:I recall reading in one of the documents that someone owed Lekhraj money. Would you happen to recall exactly where it is mentioned? Thanks.
At the time of the court case, Lekhraj Kirpalani the secretary of the Bhaibund's Anti-Om Mandli committee was not allowed to give evidence because he owed Lekhraj Kirpalani money for the splitting up of their partnership.

Note, this Bhai Shewkram was a sleeping partner of Dada Lekhraj ... this reverses the BKWSU version which stated Lekhraj Kirpalani was the sleeping partner who just nobly walked off and left the partner to dissolve the company and replay him. It also states the partnership was dissolved in 1932 not 1936.

From: http://www.brahmakumaris.info/forum/vie ... f=19&t=735 and here.
ex-l wrote:P. 125 of Is This Justice? has a letter signed by Narain Shewakram, Secretary Om Mandli Bhaibund Committee.

P. 33 "The first man selected for this purpose at first was Bhai Shewkram a sleeping partner of Dada Lekhraj ... but this Bhai Shewakram still owes a substantial amount to Dada Lekhraj as per release deed"

P. 16 and 18 "Mr (U.M.) Mirchandani who was present throughout as a partisan of the Anti Om Mandli Committee gave some draft in writing .."
PBK Dyavu wrote:There were two Sevak Ram's in the beginning ... one is secretary of anti Om Mandali and another is partner of Dada Lekhraj.

DL's partner name was Shewakram K.D. ... will produce documents later ...

& Secretary of Anti Om Mandali was Shewakram Mirchandini (I will post full name later) ...

His full name was Naraindas Bhagawandas Mirchandini (his grandfather's name was Shewakram therefore in short they written as Narain Shewakram.) ... he was young at that time when he was part of anti-Om Mandali. He was BA graduate ... soon I will produce his photo in the forum.

Bhai Shewakram was partner of DL and he was not so rich ... Now I cant reveal his full name when times comes will produce full name and photo of Shewakram ... I can say his Father name starts with "K" and his surname starts with "D" ... Shewakram K.D.
T.K

Post by T.K »

Thanks, fluffy bunny. Thanks for also putting the relevant material in this thread.

Now, here is the next piece of the puzzle.

Between March 30, 1939 and May 5, 1939, a tribunal in Karachi investigated Om Mandli. Character witnesses were presented to them by "Mukhi Mangharam and others" to provide evidence regarding "antecedents of Dada Lekhraj and his life in Calcutta". One of them was an affidavit from "Bhai Shewakram, sleeping partner of Lekhraj Kirpalani". He owed considerable money to Lekhraj Kirpalani at this time, and hence his testimony was not entered.

1. If Bhai Shewakram's statement was going to be used against Lekhraj Kirpalani, it likely was not flattering. It probably repeated the claim that Rs 10,000/- were spent in Benares to learn spirituality or included some other unhelpful statements.
2. It makes perfect sense that the Partner owed Lekhraj Kirpalani money. Either in 1934 when the business was supposedly closed (as per OMBCR) or in 1936/37 after Lekhraj Kirpalani saw visions, he asked the Partner for his share. It is next to impossible to take almost 50% of the capital out of a business (and clearly theirs was a big one) in an instant, or even a few months. It takes time to take to do so, especially if you want to keep operating the business.
3. We know there was no 3rd partner, so all the burden of running the business and paying back Lekhraj Kirpalani very likely fell on the Partner.

Therefore,
1. It is highly unlikely that after hearing about Lekhraj Kirpalani's vision the Partner simply dropped everything, locked up the business or gave it to someone else to run, and went to Hyderabad to join the Om Mandli. Otherwise the arrangement between Lekhraj Kirpalani and the Partner would have been very different. The Partner owed money to Lekhraj Kirpalani "as per the release deed", implying he had assumed the ownership of the business.
2. It is highly likely that between the time Lekhraj Kirpalani asked him for the money and May 1939 the partner was in Calcutta, going about his business and trying to pay back Lekhraj Kirpalani. Therefore it is unlikely the Partner was in Hyderabad around May of 1938 to act as the secretary of Om Mandli Bhaibund Committee (anti Om Mandli).
3. The Partner was not in Karachi between March 30 1939 and May 5 1939 - his affidavit was submitted to the tribunal whereas the other character witness was "produced before the Tribunal".

I can only further conclude that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY Lekhraj Kirpalani's partner understood Lekhraj Kirpalani's visions or understood Lekhraj Kirpalani was going to be Krishna or joined Lekhraj Kirpalani's Om Mandli. If he did he wouldn't be providing an affidavit of character evidence to Mukhi Mangharam and Mukhi Mangharam wouldn't be seeking it from a member of the Om Mandli either in Mid 1938 or early 1939 when on both occasions the Partner did so.

The Partner, Bhai Shewakram, is not listed as a member of Om Mandli and was not in Karachi in early 1939, and hence it is VERY UNLIKELY Shiva or the Infinite Divine Light was speaking to Om Mandli through the Partner until May 1939, all contrary to PBK's account of history.
T.K

Post by T.K »

Here is the final piece of analysis.

Between OMBCR and "Is This Justice" there are ample descriptions of the events and characters involved in the period between April 1938 and May 1939. Within this period the Om Mandli was hounded out of Hyderabad, made to migrate to Karachi and pursued even there. Authors of these events include Om Radhe, members of the Om Mandli, members of the Anti Om Mandli, judiciary officials, lay people who were losing children to the movement, and even independent, prominent members of the society (who visited Om Mandli). The spot light was squarely and singularly on them.

All of the narrations, exchanges and documents paint a consistent picture: people believed Lekhraj Kirpalani was the main man behind Om Mandli; he was the one "misleading" the women. He stood the prime accused and no one else, not even Om Radhe.

There is absolutely NO mention of Lekhraj Kirpalani's partner as a member of Om Mandli or as an individual from whom Om Mandli receive any direction or teachings. If he was explaining visions or imparting any teachings, one would imagine it would be mentioned somewhere. He wouldn't be such an invisible character. Much lesser characters find mention in the documents.
Page 68 of "Is This justice" provides some information (by an Anti Om Mandli person) on adult male members of Om Mandli along with their professions. One would think it would have included the name of someone as prominent as Lekhraj Kirpalani's partner. But it does not.
One would have imagined Anti Om Mandli would accuse the TWO partners of colluding. Instead, the partner is used as a character evidence by them!

The letters and documents cite Lekhraj Kirpalani and that he was a jeweler in Calcutta. But none cites the partner, except for two paragraphs, one by Om Radhe which shows he owed money to Lekhraj Kirpalani, and the other in OMBCR used to malign Lekhraj Kirpalani.
Not even the independent visitors to Om Mandli, who observed the premises, mention the partner.
For the entire community, it was Lekhraj Kirpalani and Lekhraj Kirpalani alone.

One may hence conclude Lekhraj Kirpalani's partner had no role to play, leave alone a prominent one, with the Om Mandli in this period, at least from 1938 to mid 1939.
PBKs, very elaborately and through multiple publications, claim that the partner joined the Om Mandli, was the channeling the "divine being", was with them in Hyderabad and moved to Karachi with them. This is their raison d'etre. This is the foundation on which stands the claim that Virendra Dev Dixit, incarnation of the partner in this life, is the true Prajapita.
However, based on the above analysis, some may find the claim incredulous, and entirely dismiss the PBKs.
sita
Affinity to the BKWSU: PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I would like to take part in healthy discussion on topics of knowledge, sharing with fellow souls, for common benefit.

Post by sita »

entirely dismiss the PBKs.
History of the Yagya has been revised some times already. Why would this be a reason to dismiss the whole study?
T.K

Post by T.K »

sita wrote: History of the Yagya has been revised some times already. Why would this be a reason to dismiss the whole study?
I did not realize this aspect of the history been revised by PBKs. What is then the story of Lekhraj Kirpalani's partner as per PBKs?
Thanks.
T.K
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU

Post by fluffy bunny »

There may be mention of Lekhraj Kirpalani's partner being a member of Om Mandli in 1938 ... but 6 years is a long time in a small, intense spiritualist cult finding itself attacked and a pariah amongst its own community.

There is no earlier history written of the religion ... or rather, the earlier history has been destroyed by the BKWSU. These documents have been found outside of the BKWSU. We know people left. We have also been told about a "golden circle" around a different medium and of the Piyu Vanis, of which little is said.

I think you are coming to a conclusion far too early and do not think you have got to the bottom of it yet.

I am sure that I read that Lekhraj Kirpalani retired or started his Sangums in 1932, so we have 1932 ... 1934 ... 1936 ... 1938 by the time we get to the big courtcase. Does Virendra Dev Dixit give a precise date when Shiva was meant to have popped into and what exactly he said?
T.K wrote:One may hence conclude Lekhraj Kirpalani's partner had no role to play, leave alone a prominent one, with the Om Mandli in this period, at least from 1938 to mid 1939.

PBKs, very elaborately and through multiple publications, claim that the partner joined the Om Mandli, was the channeling the "divine being", was with them in Hyderabad and moved to Karachi with them. This is their raison d'etre. This is the foundation on which stands the claim that Veerendra Dev Dixit, incarnation of the partner in this life, is the true Prajapita. However, based on the above analysis, some may find the claim incredulous, and entirely dismiss the PBKs.
More to the point, there is certainly no evidence so far to say that the partner said, whichever Shewakram/Sevakram it might end up being, "Oh, that is Shiva speaking through you" or what exactly he told Lekhraj Kirpalani.

Personally, I am allowing the PBKs the benefit of doubt in the hope that sincere PBK followers might resolve all this. As far as I can see, and I have not done the Advance Knowledge course nor studied Virendra Dev Dixit's class in depth, the event of Shiva speaking through another spirit medium might just boil down to a single occasion or utterance.

I've always struggled at how such a transitory event could have that spirit medium called the "permanent Chariot" ... which it was an extremely impermanent happening.

There are tales of mediumship within the BKWSU when it was said Shiva entered into other daughters (young women) to speak. However, this too is confusing because at the time it was said to happen, there was no name or awareness of Shiva ... so who or what was it, what was going on and how did they conceptualise it?

I think "Is This Justice?" is remarkable for its lack of documenting Lekhraj Kirpalani ... what he being hidden by them? He certainly was not writing all the English language material. Who was producing the Divine Decrees and why where they put in Om Radhe's name who joined much later? Was it just a legal thing due to their fear of being sued ... putting a teenage girl up as a front?
T.K

Post by T.K »

fluffy bunny wrote:There may be mention of Lekhraj Kirpalani's partner being a member of Om Mandli in 1938 ...
I think you are coming to a conclusion far too early and do not think you have got to the bottom of it yet.
I presume you meant, "There may NOT be mention of Lekhraj Kirpalani's partner..".

You are taking a much broader perspective whereas I am focusing on a narrow sliver of events.

Forget the BKWSU story, for the moment. It is too vast, with too many moving parts. Consider only the PBK story for now.

Lekhraj Kirpalani's partner knew about the visions, understood them and explained them to Lekhraj Kirpalani. He went to Hyderabad and acted as the medium of Shiva. He moved with the Om Mandli to karachi and continued to be the medium.
Assume this is all to be true.

By way of acting as the medium of Shiva the partner had as significant of a role to play as the future Krishna, if not more. The most documented period of Om Mandli, April 1938 to May 1939, during which the partner was with them, has no mention of him, except for 2 instances. In both instances, he is the character witness for the opposition group, and NOT one with other members of Om Mandli. These "facts" as depicted in the documents written by different people in their individual, disparate capacities belie the above assumption.
And of course, there is this other thing about the missing mention of Shiva in these documents.

However, I do submit there might yet be an explanation for all of the above.

(BTW, although Lekhraj Kirpalani may have started the Satsangs in 1932, a common thing for people with religious bent to do until at least 30 year ago, he may not have had visions in 1932. Om Radhe may not have been a teenager when Lekhraj Kirpalani created the formal trust by the name Om Mandli.)
T.K

Post by T.K »

[quote="PariXit"][/quote]
PariXit,
I am not sure I quite follow your post. Please accept my apologies.
However I will try to respond based on what I "think" you meant.

I cannot claim to have fully studied the sastras.
I cannot claim to have mastery over BK/PBK or any other derived teachings.
I am not sure whether you are admonishing me, or insinuating that I am something specific.