The 8

Mainly DEDICATED to Ex-BKs.
A neutral forum for congenial discussions and reservations related to the Godly Knowledge between ALL parties.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

The 8

Post by fluffy bunny »

I have often wondered where the idea of "The 8", or the rosary of 8 top souls in the world according to the BKWSY, comes from. 108 we know is very common in Hinduism and Buddhism.

Reading the 1938 Om Mandli document, I noticed the early Brahma Kumaris being called "Sakhis" and researched it.

I wondered if this was the answer where the idea of "The 8" comes from ... your opinion or any inside information welcome.
Eight Main Gopis (Asta Sakhis)

These eight are the leaders of all the other gopis. They always serve Radha and try to please Her in every way. They are the dearest and most beloved friends of Srimati Radharani. Rupa Gosvami describes the qualities of the eight main gopis in Radha Krishna Ganodesa Dipika.
  • 1. Lalita Sakhi
    2. Visakha Sakhi
    3. Campakalata Sakhi
    4. Citra Sakhi
    5. Tungavidya Sakhi
    6. Indulekha Sakhi
    7. Rangadevi Sakhi
    8. Sudevi Sakhi
Candravali

She is Srimati Radharani main competitor for the attention of Krishna. Srimati Radharani is her cousin. Candravali is the daughter of Candrabhanu, who is the brother of Vrishabhanu. She lived in the village of Sakhi Sthali near Govardhana Hill with her husband Govardhana Malla.

Out of the hundreds of thousands of gopis, eight are considered most prominent. They are: Radharani, Candravali, Lalita, Vishakha, Padma, Bhadra, Saibya and Syama. Of these two Radharani and Candravali are considered most dear. Of these two Radharani is the most dear to Krishna.
sita
Affinity to the BKWSU: PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I would like to take part in healthy discussion on topics of knowledge, sharing with fellow souls, for common benefit.

Re: The 8

Post by sita »

arjun
PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Post by arjun »

fluffy-bunny,
The eight names that you have quoted are the eight main female friends (gopis or sakhis) of Krishna. But the shaktis mentioned in Murlis or AVs refer to the consorts of Shiv mentioned in the path of Bhakti. You must have confused sakhis with shaktis.
OGS,
Arjun
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Post by fluffy bunny »

Of course, very soon the leaders of the BKWSU will have none of the original souls left and then they will be at liberty to remake the religion and history into whatever they want with no one to challenge them. They are already moving towards that day.
arjun wrote:You must have confused sakhis with shaktis.
I am using the word used by the Bhaibund and referring to the historical version, not the later philosophical version.

I did ask myself if 'sakhis' was a misspelling of 'shaktis' ... but, no, I am 100% sure it was an intentional use.

You had Lekhraj Kirpalani as Krishna, Radha as Radhe, and the inner circle of their cult as "the Sakhis", as per Hinduism. That is, Krishna's and Radhe's closest consorts. Whether the Om Mandli used this term, I cannot say but I think the Bhaibund's use of it is simple, clear and intentional. I guess this refers to the original Om Mandli committee who fronted up Lekhraj Kirpalani's business for him. The original 8 Jewels.

Now, we know that all the other mathematical figures came directly from or were inspired by Hinduism, and that they were not unique to the Brahma Kumaris. Lekhraj Kirpalani, in his mind, was trying to understand his experiences in primarily Hindu terms. I had just never come across such a clear "eight" figure before.

I think much the same can be said of the "Advanced Knowledge" Islamic interpretation. It may well be true on an allegorical level but it is a far step from the original history. If you are telling me that what the Brahma Kumaris refer to as "The 8" are their top eight rulers rather than "The Top 8 Souls in the Worlds" as the BKs teach foreigners. Than that is useful too.

Dadi Janki they say is "One of the 8", Prakashmani another ... and so on. Do we have all their names?
sita
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I would like to take part in healthy discussion on topics of knowledge, sharing with fellow souls, for common benefit.

Preparation of mala (gathering)

Post by sita »

It was said in one VCD that it is the shaktis, asur sangaarni (straighteners of the demons) who are instrumental in preparation of the mala, rather than Bap. Shivsena will say this is exactly what he is talking about, but the difference is whether the method is through selection (picking up certain souls to teach them), or, as i understand it based on the above, more like some test that those who will fail, who got destroyed, their status in the mala is destroyed.