Cult or not, east or west

Mainly DEDICATED to Ex-BKs.
A neutral forum for congenial discussions and reservations related to the Godly Knowledge between ALL parties.
bansy
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK

Cult or not, east or west

Post by bansy »

I raise this because it has not been really clear if the BKWSU is a "cult". There has been talk about what cult is based on what research has been made, mainly from a western researcher. How about from within.

From a western point of view, it is. From an eastern point of view, it is not. Note that this is only a generalism ,my opinion.

In the UK, I go and eat curry. It is an "exotic" dish, for a short time I am being to the Indian cult. In India, another family decides to eat Macdonalds, now they belong to the American cult, and then another friend goes for a Fish and Chips in Brazil, that's British cult. Bowler hats and black umbrella and red buses as a symbol for the London Olympics. Is that a cult ?

Where did the word cult originate from. Who defined it. Cult or Culture.

If you were a westerner in India, let's say you were born and bred there, in fact you were even adopted by an Indian couple beause the Raj left you behind (OK imaginary situation but just example). And so you knew nothing about the western ways, and maybe don't even notice the colour of your skin. Then Vishnu or Shankar things are coming through your door and windows and everywhere you go, would you see them as a cult ? Are the BKWSU a cult then ? Was the Raj a cult ? Did they not massacre thousands ? Are they a cult in the UK ? Are the Church a cult in India ? etc etc

My point is how we see things is always going to be from our own point of view. There are the "extremes" of some practices, but if displaying women as objects in flourescent lighted shop windows in western countries is normal, then displaying images of elephants standing with a mouse is not normal.

So maybe cult is just an image conjured up from one's sphere of one's perceived normality. Try sheeps brains and fried hamsters and dogs, followed by pizza with steamed silkworm topping. But escargots and frog legs are acceptable.

I haven't looked up the definition of cult. Because it has been written by someone or maybe a bunch of peoples ina committee to decide a common definition of cult. Who is being respresneted in that committee. How many people does it make to make a cult ? How many people does it take to define a cult ? Are gays a cult ? Are dog lovers a cult ?

Is cult an English term, does it mean the same or does it even exist in other languages (and thus nations) ?

I am guessing here that a cult is usually defined as a bunch of people outside mainstream culture. Ooops I've just said "mainstream culture". It's back to the curry and fish and chips example as to what is mainstream is here as to mainstream there. If everyone is god's children, then are we all in or out of a cult ?

If cult is about "belonging" then we all belong somewhere. I, too, have used this "c" world here and there (like the world racism) but am not sure what it really is. For I never thought of the BKWSU as a "cult" before I met them nor after, until I came onto the forums. But I am not so sure. Has the cult of the BKWSU-is-a-cult believers made me believe it in too ?

The door is open folks. Alakazaaammm.

Responses from Indians in India will be refreshing. Make the west understand. As well as the far east. :D
bansy

Re: Cult or not, east or west

Post by bansy »

I have decided at last to look up the definition of cult.

I used wiki but i haven't read it all : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult

First I went down to the bottom of the page and browsed through the names. Notice anything? I haven't checked on every line, but it seems most references are western names.

(this may have further implications that can go on forever, such as who writes definitions, and so from which culture/country's perspective, and what is wikipedia etc wtc).
spiritual spy
Affinity to the BKWSU: Media
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I want to debate with BKs - if they are ready !!!

Post by spiritual spy »

Hi bancy

Cult is a pyramid organization ..this is simple to understand.

I ran a search on google for the meaning of cult see this...

CULT

(noun) followers of an unorthodox, extremist, or false religion or sect who often live outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader

(noun) followers of an exclusive system of religious beliefs and practices

There are several other spiritual leaders in India and they say that they are "near" gods or like gods, (for example there is a Sri kalki bhagavan in Chennai India- who says he is the avatar of kalki, and he has thousands of followers too!! (if u want to know more - find out in google) ....it is also a controversial spiritual organaisation but not as bad as BK and there are many more like these in India, at least a 1000 nos.)

But no one is as bad as the BKism.

BKs say they are the exclusive system few special souls of the god. etc.,,

There may be religious group with certain unacceptable beliefs in all countries,but all of them are not cults, some of them may be bogus but not cults.

The BKs are surely a cult, because of their hierarchical system, spiritual fantasies (sat yug etc.,)

SPY
bansy

Post by bansy »

I think you have not read my post, but thanks for the input anyway.
john
Reforming BK

Post by john »

It would not surprise me if the term 'Cult' was a Christian invention, used to keep others on the path of following Jesus.
They certainly us it.
I always check 'who' is calling a group a cult, there you can usually find the motivation.

Actually I like the term and idea of a 'cult' what troubles me is the general masses ;-)