[Admin] Organize yourselves now - How to run this forum

For site notices, guidelines and technical support.
= PLEASE KEEP THE FORUMS ON TOPIC =
admin
Site Admin
Affinity to the BKWSU: Academic
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: General forum administration account

[Admin] Organize yourselves now - How to run this forum

Post by admin »

Admin note:

All topics from the old Newcomer forum have been archived as they do not relate to this new forum. If the new administrators and moderators wish to restore some of them to continue discussion, then they still can do so later.

It may also be that you wish to archive some or all of the topics from the old commonroom and choose to have a fresh start here.

Please discuss these issues and organize yourselves about how to run this forum in order to make it sustainable. No one else is going to look after it for you. Like BapDada, my role here is only temporary.
  • Empower yourselves now.
shivshankar
working towards unification
Affinity to the BKWSU: reforming BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: dharna

Organizing the aministration of our forum

Post by shivshankar »

If somebody wants to keep THIS forum alive, we should organize the administration process. Any volunteers?
shivshankar

Re: [Admin] Organize yourselves - How to run this forum

Post by shivshankar »

As for Me...
1) I can find a programmer. Indeed I had found already.

2)Also I can moderate the COMMONROOM section of this forum.
admin
Site Admin
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: General forum administration account

Post by admin »

This topic will remain open for sometime to allow discussion to develop. Members should take this matter seriously and discuss it.

As an additional offer, if members are unhappy at this forum being hosted here, then we are happy to provide a complete back up of the database so that all posts and membership accounts can be moved to another domain or webhost. The forum uses phpBB3 Forum software which is the most common web discussion board and the transfer process very simple.
arjun
PBK
Affinity to the BKWSU: PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Post by arjun »

Admin. wrote:As an additional offer, if members are unhappy at this forum being hosted here, then we are happy to provide a complete back up of the database so that all posts and membership accounts can be moved to another domain or webhost.
I don't think there is any need for that. But if anyone feels the necessity, they should first present their views and logics for the same here for others to discuss.
andrey
PBK
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK

Post by andrey »

We don’t need moderation nor administration. As deities to be we are self-sovereigns. We know what should be done and what not. If someone says something wrong, this will not be our forum. In our forum there is nothing wrong. Everyone says whatever he wishes. no one is insulted. no one does not control anyone else and imposes ones own ideas. It is a free forum. Free space. It has come to us without even asking. If they take it away from us, will we cry.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Whereas members might not need moderation, for as long as there is no abuse, the forum itself most certainly does need an administrator to;
  • manage any technical problems, updates that might arise
    make backups
    deal with issues relating to users' accounts, e.g lost passwords, spam etc
    helping those that wish to unsubscribe
    and any problems relating to "trolls" etc (individuals deliberately seeking to be dishonest and cause trouble).
Members should also decide if they wish to keep the archived forums etc.

One of the best alternatives to self-supporting a forum is Freeforums.org who for $5.33 per month will technically support a forum, provide a free domain name for it and import the current database of users and posts.

Being independent is the only way of ensuring the future is safe and in your own hands.

We are happy to provide a complete copy of all previous user accounts and posts.
arjun
PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Re: [Admin] Organize yourselves now - How to run this forum

Post by arjun »

admin wrote:the forum itself most certainly does need an administrator to;

manage any technical problems, updates that might arise
make backups
deal with issues relating to users' accounts, e.g lost passwords, spam etc
helping those that wish to unsubscribe
and any problems relating to "trolls" etc (individuals deliberately seeking to be dishonest and cause trouble).
I agree, but I cannot offer to be an administrator as I don't have enough technical expertise. However I will continue to moderate as far as possible to keep the forum clean.
andrey
PBK

Post by andrey »

Dear brother admin,

At the moment this forum is part of the main forum and users could post in both. We don't know if person who likes to register does it for to post here or there.

I believe big role to attract people play the Murlis and the name Brahmakumaris. If domain name is yours by the court of law, whose are the Murlis? In divorce, both sides should like to be independent. You had separated the forum. If it comes to separation can we decide who belongs where, can we take back our posts, our time and energy invested or the documents. Whom do they belong to? OK even if we could take also all the documents these are not for us, but for people. The forum is a product of collective effort. I personally believe if we are somewhere else, with different name and people from here even had to register once more for to post there there would be very little activity there.

I am completely unaware of the speciality of running forum. You are dealing with all these already, due to your own initiative. If you would like that as a Father of the forum you like to separate your child then sometimes the child also stays with the Father. You are dealing with technical issues, log ins, passwords ect. already. Can you tell if you do it for this or that forum. Do you believe if this forum separates completey this will make much difference to your effort you had to do for this forum anyway. If there are few peole who don't post, how less the burden will this be, because this is what we are, as you see up to 10 people and not much more, but maybe less.

I don't know how much effort it takes, anyway it is voluntary work. Can someone be forced. But who can administrate this new forum and why should he do this. We have not created it and don't believe in it. I believe if this forum separates it will die. You have created it, you can kill it. If you don't like that it exists as subforum then why not delete it. Why do you like to put on our shoulder responsibility we had not ourselves taken. We are users. If you don't like us, don't let us, but why do you like to create our own forum and make us administrators.

Indeed to pay 5.33 per month is not so expensive. Do you think the work you do costs this much?

And why cannot I post in the other forum. Am I the only one. You see peterbinidi also does not have good English, but he can post. Or is it the title PBK. If I change it could I post?
shivshankar

Post by shivshankar »

OK. ex-BK forum is back as it was or almost was previously. All this is nothing but petty intrigues. End of Kali yuga. I am not a mouse, hope you are also not. All offers were made. You know what to do, or not to do.
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

Brother Andrey,
Om Shanti. I think a lot of effort has gone into creating, maintaining and protecting the BKInfo forum. And the same may be true for this new forum as well. So, instead of being critical about the intentions of the admins of this/that forum, we should be thankful for the support they have provided so far or may provide in future. This is a voluntary effort and the participation is also volutary. Nobody is being forced to join.

I am sure that the documents related to BKWSU and the Murlis contributed by various individuals to the BKInfo site will continue to remain available to all the souls of the world. I don't think the division of the forum will have any effect on the accessibility of the Members to the download library. But the Admin. may be in a better position to clarify the doubts.
andrey wrote:I am completely unaware of the speciality of running forum. You are dealing with all these already, due to your own initiative. If you would like that as a Father of the forum you like to separate your child then sometimes the child also stays with the Father. You are dealing with technical issues, log ins, passwords ect. already. Can you tell if you do it for this or that forum.
If nobody comes forward to administer the forum, I would request the present Admin. team to continue administering this forum as well. If they do not have time to monitor it everyday, they can at least do the bare minimum Admin. work (except moderation) to keep this forum alive.
andrey
PBK

Post by andrey »

You are right brother and I owe an apology to the admin. Even more when my spelling is not good again. But where is the spell-check button? The word program I use at work does not check also so this is the reason.

Indeed it could be that the admin has the fair intention to give freedom. He has been tolerant to allow us, he has created the forum and had maintained it, so his role is fixed. I could have been rush in my conclusion that he likes to push us away instead to bring us up. It is because we as users never really liked to be independent and me personally I would prefer that there is one forum only.

Could be from technical point of view this split is better, I don’t know. Would not like to think that this splitting is for putting more emphasize to some and less to others, making the task of some important and others not.

Me as user I would prefer that this forum is as it is and run by the admin. I don’t see my role further than user. It was just a cry to the admin that, no, don’t, don’t leave us alone, but anyway he is free to decide on his own.

Yes, of course we value him or the lots of him for his/theirs effort, but I thought it goes without saying. We can see that there has not been many admin – users clashes and even the little sparks that has been ignited between some members now have sunk in the past and are not visible anymore. Maybe this split is because everything is good at its own place.

I also am not aware what does the moderator do. Maybe this work is also essential. I guess spell-check is his burden. It is true that the admin group has not imposed a single opinion and allowed variety. But I believe single opinion that prevails amongst us all is also there at certain points, with or without saying. Regard to admin is one.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

In face of the feedback, or lack thereof, perhaps it would be best if one individual would come forward and dedicate themselves to supporting a new independent forum at $5 a month at Freeforums (or elsewhere if they so wish).

As soon as that is complete, we will make available a complete back up of the database in order to transfer the posts and user accounts.

Thank you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Can members be reminded of the need to organize yourself in order to support and develop this forum?

Thank you.
tete
Friends and family of
Affinity to the BKWSU: Supreme Spiritual Surgery
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: Aprender a verdade é frequentemente muito difícil
My pms are shut down by me. Thank you and best wishes to
you in your life's journey. :-)

Post by tete »

Happy New Year (2009)! :D