Spirit Mediumship and Social Identity

for discussing science, relationships, religion or non-BK spirituality.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Spirit Mediumship and Social Identity

Post by fluffy bunny »

Just a quick note to an academic paper on Spirit Mediumship and Social Identity. In this case about Tromba possession in Sakalava religious experience throughout Madagascar.

I note many similarities to the Brahma Kumari experience and ask again to The Great Wall of Silence one confronts so often on the Path of Truth, "what do we know about the training of young women mediums today, to replace Gulzar when she dies, within the BKWSU?" No one asking, no one saying, are we all keeping the mystique alive?
  • No males ... no non-Indians ... all female virgins sacrificed as vehicles to the male spirit gods?
I mean, to stick unimaginatively to just 'white saris', would that not just be a "branding exercise" selling an image and an idea to their customer base? Could a black sister, or another wise old man not be just as good, or even a better medium for god and a better image of ethics and equality within the organization? Or do they want someone they can own and control like the Kumari Devis of Nepal and Devadasis?
paulkershaw
ex-BK
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I am an ex-teacher and member of the BKWSU and my interest lies in assisting those who request support on any level I can.

Re: Spirit Mediumship and Social Identity

Post by paulkershaw »

Here in Africa the Traditional Healers /Sangomas / Spiritual Doctors (who all do their work through trance channeling their 'ancestor spirits'), have a huge influence on the social structures of their people. They are often seen to be more powerful than the political leaders and so legal social policy is often created around their belief systems causing some conflict with other more European influences and beliefs. A unique process probably but not limited to this continent.

Basically, the most powerful and most dramatic channeler would be more believable and therefore have more influence on the social structures of his/her people. So therefore we can say that the Spirits channeling through their mediums certainly creates a social identity ... and the people follow even if they don't understand it ... but they pay what they have to to keep it all going ...
No males ... no non-Indians ... all female virgins sacrificed as vehicles to the male spirit gods?
Would it not be an awesome paradox if some European (or non-Indian) medium started to channel the Bap/Dada experience?

Hmmm, thinking about it, it may be time I went up into the big white light and started sending taped recordings to BKWSU HQ (via via this forum) ... a WHITEY Chariot - now that would be something eh? - oh, yeah I forgot, I don't speak Hindi so "GOD" cannot speak through me. Oh well, there must be a Zulu Ancestor hanging around somewhere! :|
mr green
ex-BK
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK

Re: Spirit Mediumship and Social Identity

Post by mr green »

paulkershaw wrote:Would it not be an awesome paradox if some European (or non-Indian) medium started to channel the Bap/Dada experience? Hmmm, thinking about it, it may be time I went up into the big white light and started sending taped recordings to BKWSU HQ (via via this forum) ... a WHITEY Chariot - now that would be something eh? - oh, yeah I forgot, I don't speak Hindi so "GOD" cannot speak through me.
Its okay. Shiva has been 'entering' me for a while now to listen to English for Dummies tapes, and now he can count to ten.