Please bear with me

arjun
PBK
Affinity to the BKWSU: PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Please bear with me

Post by arjun »

Om Shanti.

Since many weeks or may be months I have not been able to reply to all the posts that were directly or indirectly addressed to me. Apart from that I could not reply to many of the posts, which I could have replied or would have liked to reply. The reason for this is that I have become a victim of the computer-related disorder leading to pain in the right arm, especially the wrist and fingers that I use to operate the mouse for long hours.

For many weeks I tried overcoming the problem using some creams for relief from pain and inflammation. But that hasn't worked. Since many months I have also been exercising twice a day for about half an hour each. :wink: Although physical exercises helped me overcome/avoid lower back pain and neck pain (also a result of long hours on computer) but that did not cure the pain in the right arm completely because in this case a particular organ (right arm) has been overstrained due to overuse. Then, as suggested in most of the articles on such disorders, I had to resort to giving breaks/rest to the right arm. It definitely helps, but only temporarily.

I also tried using the left hand for operating the mouse, but it is not feasible because almost all the computer tables are designed for right-handed persons. Nevertheless, when not sitting on computers I try to extract as much work as possible from my left arm, like lifting bags, holding support while standing in buses, in kitchen, etc. to give break to the right arm. :lol:

Therefore, I am left with no other choice but to give rest to the right arm/fingers until they are ready for use. Although I can browse through the forum but it is not possible to give detailed replies. I would continue to fulfil my minimum obligations to the forum everyday.

I therefore request you to kindly bear with me. I will try to reply to posts addressed to me in short, but if the same is delayed please forgive me. I particularly regret not participating to the desired level in the discussions in the PBK section. But because my learned PBK friends are competent enough to answer most of the querries, I feel that I can afford to avoid making posts there.

I don't know if I am acting against Shrimat by making this request in public, but I did not want to keep either myself or others in an illusion and hence have made this post with a heavy heart and as a last resort.

Since my present situation is because of overuse of the right arm for operation of computer/mouse, I would like to suggest others to be careful and avoid such experience. Computer/internet has become an integral part of our life/profession; therefore it is better to use the body in a balanced way so that it cooperates with us in our computer-related needs for a longer period in life.

Any suggestions in this regard would be helpful for me as well as other Members, :)

Thanks,
OGS,
Arjun
pilatus
non-BK
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK

Re: please bear with me

Post by pilatus »

Hello arjun,

Having had the condition on two occasions in the past, I can only sympathise with you. It's very painful and only time and rest will really fix the problem. All our best wishes for a speedy recovery ...
joel
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I was an active BK for 12 years. That was long ago. Now I am just a person.

Re: please bear with me

Post by joel »

Hi Arjun,

Sorry to hear about your injury and pain.

I agree that using the left hand while the right hand heals would be ideal to give your right hand a rest. An extension mouse cable may help you to do this.

Here are some other measures for helping at your desk:
  • - there are gel-filled pads to rest your wrist on while your hand holds the mouse. The additional support helps some people. Similar pads are available for keyboard use. In general, you want your wrists to be close to straight. The sharper the angle in the wrist, the greater wear and tear in transmitting forces.
    - adjusting the height of your chair so that your knees are slightly lower than the tops of your thighs
    - adjusting your keyboard-drawer and/or desk so that your wrists and hands are below the level of your elbows.
    - adjusting the height of the monitor so that you are looking slightly down toward the screen
    - using an alternative pointing devices such as a touch-pad or trackball. There is even something called a head-mouse that you wear like a cap.
For improving how you position and move yourself in sitting, I would recommend looking into the Feldenkrais method. In this video you can see a trainer working with a man, helping him move more fluidly, and spontaneously finding a more efficient alignment of head, spine and pelvis. She is introducing her own program, but you can ignore that. Even just seeing the movements is instructive, the way she coaxes his movements into healthier patterns.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Re: Please bear with me

Post by fluffy bunny »

Yes, my respect, appreciation and sympathies. I was going to make one of the same suggestions as Joel did ... a trackpad or trackball. Perhaps if you are open to the idea, someone on the forum could send you one of theirs? Many people try a few out or go back to mice.

Is it your body telling you to rest, do other sorts of service and find some balance, or is it a dastardly demon keeping you from "the work"? I strongly suspect the former and you should avoid beating yourself up over it.
tete
Friends and family of
Affinity to the BKWSU: Supreme Spiritual Surgery
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: Aprender a verdade é frequentemente muito difícil
My pms are shut down by me. Thank you and best wishes to
you in your life's journey. :-)

Post by tete »

Arjun,

All the best and a quick recovery. :)

Now, to the practical aspect of things like Joel pointed out. I use a trackball as I too got the arm pain. I usually switch from several computers, and lap top to avoid that sort of pain again, although when writing 25 pages or more without a break will annoy it, due to the key strokes. I have a blind friend and he used the speak software and that may help you too. I have a spare new wireless track mouse if you are willing to give it a try...pm if you do.
Almost' Free Down Loads Center ... software

Good thoughts to you Arjun and thank you for always looking up the Murli questions for all beyond the PBK section. You have been a trooper, now take a well deserved rest.

Kind Regards,

Tete
P.S. No need to reply, we will all know you are moving you head in acknowledgment of the messages. :D
alladin
Friends and family of

bless you!

Post by alladin »

Hi, Arjunbhai! An essenceful message: thanks for your advice and best, heartfelt wishes :D
bkti-pit
BK

Post by bkti-pit »

It is said that love and happiness :biggrin: are the best medecine. May I add laughter? :lol:

Love you get from many of us. Happiness and laughter you can find in many places on the Forum :mrgreen:. And all that for free.

So I think you are in good hands and there is no need to ask the BK Centers for special Yoga for you. :D
jannisder
Friends and family of

Post by jannisder »

Dear Arjun,

While sitting in your chair lean over to the site where your arm hurts. Make it feel heavy, now let your arm hang and relax completely from fingers to shoulder and make little circles to ease the pain.

Al the best
Love Jan.
peterbindi
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: Looking for God and for myself.

Post by peterbindi »

Dear arjun.

What also can be helpful to the body is to step out of the pain with mind and intellect and look at yourself let say in your case your own body.
Than take the intension to heal yourself,...than sent this spot of pain good thoughts of energy and let it go into the micro structure of the body.
You can also use colours in this self healing proces.

Let say be your own doctor :D

And for sure this works at its best when connected with the source of healing 8) .

peterbindi.
arjun
PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Post by arjun »

Dear all,
Om Shanti and thanks for all the good wishes and valuable suggestions. I am sure all your good wishes would help me sail through the forum till 2036 :D
Thanks,
OGS,
Arjun
yogi108
BK

Post by yogi108 »

Arjun Bhai,

Wish you a speedy recovery from the pain ... but couldnt resist the

" till 2036" Date conscious are you????

Yogi
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Post by fluffy bunny »

May be we can write to Madhuban to request a special-mouse, clicking-finger bhatti for Arjun to purify his carpal tunnels.

We can call it "Digital World Service"! (digit = finger, digital = Internet Technology ... ).
bansy

Post by bansy »

All,

I am no medical expert , but have somehandy tips that others have helped me in the past.

On the most part, pains in the body often come (ignoring the karmic reasoning for now) from having the type of body which you are born with. Some people are more flexible than others, some are stronger with more muscular tissues etc. However, one of the most common aspects in body is the physical imbalance in our bodies. i.e. maybe your left side is stronger than the right, you are left footed, you can touch your left ear with your right hand curling your arm around your head, etc maybe your right foot is bigger than your left foot by 2mm, or your left leg is shorter than the right by 2mm etc.

(there is a new software for a computer game machine called the Nintendo Wii and there is a mat which you stand on which can check how well you stand, either more foward or sideways, more on the left foot or on the right foot etc).

So the way you sit is quite important, as just the way you stand and have a posture. Usually women have more flexible bodies than men, but this is not entirely true given the mass to weight and height ratios.

Whilst the Murlis say not to peform hatha Yoga, I think that, remembering that the Murli was in the 1930s-60s time, hatha Yoga was in itself a complete form of exotic Yoga. Nowadays, the benefits of exercise through light hatha Yoga (I mention light in terms of no need to put yourself in a position where you can touch you left ear with your right foot pose !) helps to keep your body and shape in balance in a simple and practical way. This is more important as you get older as your body tissues and materials do not have the same power density as you were in your youth.

When you use a computer and a mouse, or practically anything you do, you are really making imbalances towards your physical shape. The muscles and ligaments on one side of your hand and finger body is connected to shoulder and next of the other side. Many people suffer shoulder and back pains using a computer at length. The computer suggestions by joel are very valid, and to counterbalance the effort on one side of your body, do exercises on the other side too. It is not the side you use which causes the trouble, it could well be the other side you don't use. Have a try, if your right hand that is in pain, then squeeze and press down on your top left shoulder muscle and it will probably hurt more than the right shoulder.

Another way of helping is to massage the foot. The foot and toes and the palm of the foot have many connections to the parts of the body. For example, between the big toes and the first toe, there are senses directed linked to the eyes. From one end of the body to the other. So if you wear glasses, there is a big chance that the space between the toes hurt when you squeeze them.

Also massage the hand, and the muscles between your thumb and fore finger. When you do that hard enough it will hurt and you can feel it also running up in your arm. It is better when it hurts. No pain no gain.

Is this all body conscious ? It's your body, you are taking care of your own Chariot. As a BK, this would seem good. Even as a nonBK, it is still good exercise.

Another way of releasing pain is using water for therapy. Hot baths and saunas allow for good blood ciriculation, easing muscular tension. Though maybe India itself is hot enough for a whole day sauna, and so if access to hot water is not convenient, even laying on a concrete slab to allow the heat to absorb through the body helps the body to sweat and circulate muscles (UV protection needed) simulates a sauna effect.

These are just some handy tips which I hope are useful as general. But I do believe if the trouble worsens to seek professional chiropractioner. Even fit professional sportpeople need to do a lot of rehabilation especially when they get injured. Most of the causes is usually due to the shape of your body and how you made imbalances to it over a long period of time. Surprising what a harmless looking mouse can do. Every part of your body is somehow connected as a whole. You have had a fever before, how a small little harmless looking virus like that can give you a temperature 40 degrees and render your your whole body motionless and weak.

I guess I look at health in a holistic way. Creams do not work, they only offer immediate relief but the underlying pain exists, so use them for this reason and not as solution.

As with mind healing that takes time, the body healing also takes time.

Find what takes best for your shape and posture, and give both your mind and body a break.
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

yogi108 wrote:Wish you a speedy recovery from the pain ... but couldn't resist the " till 2036" Date conscious are you????
Not at all, but that is the maximum limit of Confluence Age as given in the Murlis. So, I cannot perceive a situation beyond that at present. :? Moreover, I would have very well crossed the age of retirement by then. :lol: As sister bansy has written, body is also important. Even Baba has talked about the importance to preserve the body to be able to witness the scenes at the end. :wink:
andrey
PBK

Post by andrey »

Dear brother Arjun,
If one could take half the pain you bear for to bear for me it will be OK. But I am sure many will agree they take a little bit of pain to bear so that none feels really any pain at all. It is still to make out how it works. As veteran i think you deserve receiving pension, but I don't know what is the unlimited meaning of receiving pension in the context of the forum. Maybe it is receiving vibrations of good wishes and pure feelings.