Recruited into BK from 12-steps programs?

bkti-pit
BK
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK

Re: Recruited into BK from 12-steps programs?

Post by bkti-pit »

jeanross wrote:Do you think that it is correct that a person who is receiving treatment for addiction in a residential treatment facility funded by local government should be encouraged to attend meditation with BKs? Is this a site where views contrary to BK policy are openly discussed or is it BK policy that is debated here on this site?
You have me thinking here ...

Years ago, when I was a teacher in a small Center, if I had been invited to teach meditation in a rehab center, I would have gone with no question in my mind. I do not have any first hand experience with addiction, never had any of my close ones with addiction problems and I have no professional training whatsoever to deal with people with such problems but I am not pushy, I am not a "recruiter" type and I think I have a good enough common sense.

However, not all BK teachers have proper common sense and self-restraint and, even if the teacher is sensible, altruistic and balanced and even if she/he has some experience in the domain, BK meditation can trigger powerful experiences and although they usually are positive ones, there is no way to predict how an emotionally unstable or vulnerable person would react to it.

I still believe that BK meditation can be a great help but I have also seen, like many of us on this forum, how even well meaning BKs can mess up other people's life.

These days doctors often recommend meditation to their patients but do they know that all meditations are not equal? Some may be quite inoffensive but the BK stuff is not always so.

To conclude, I think it is advisable for whoever wants to send a patient to a BK meditation course to get well acquainted with the Center providing the course, the teacher and the content of the course. It is also a good idea to learn more about the BKWSU as an organization, their history and philosophy, and I think that this site is a better place for that than the BK Centers themselves.
jeanross
Spiritual seeker
Affinity to the BKWSU: System Analyst
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: Interested in finding out more about how BK is allowed to offer meditation /promote in rehab

Post by jeanross »

Bkt-pit

Only came across your reply today, as for some reason it does not show when I looked at the newcomers posts- even though it said you had replied.

Thank you very much for your clear and helpful response, wish I had been able to let you know earlier,

jean
jeanross
Spiritual seeker
Affinity to the BKWSU: System Analyst
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: Interested in finding out more about how BK is allowed to offer meditation /promote in rehab

Post by jeanross »

It did not show because i did not turn the page!!!

lol. Oh, well ... :roll:.