New Retreat Center? Anubhuti

DEDICATED to BKs.
For those involved with the Brahma Kumaris, to discuss issues about the BKWSU in a free and open manner.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

New Retreat Center? Anubhuti

Post by fluffy bunny »

I notice another BKWSU retreat center in the USA called Anubhuti Retreat Center in Novato, California.

Anubhuti means "spiritual experience" and their courses and retreats include classes in Tai Chi and Hatha Yoga.

In the USA, the BKWS "University" is known as the Brahma Kumari World "Spiritual Organisation". BK Elizabeth Padilla has got herself in place as the vice president of the Marin Interfaith Council, I think it is a bit much to call themselves Sisters like they were nuns ... and the BKs are on a bit of a roll with their "Values Education" front.
BKWSU wrote:Anubhuti Retreat - About the BKs

The Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University acknowledges the intrinsic goodness of all people. We teach a practical method of meditation that helps individuals understand their inner strengths and values.

A worldwide family of individuals from all walks of life, we are committed to spiritual growth and personal transformation, believing them essential in creating a peaceful and just world.

Acknowledging the challenges of rapid global change, we nurture the well-being of the entire human family by promoting spiritual understanding, leadership with integrity and elevated actions towards a better world.
joel
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: I was an active BK for 12 years. That was long ago. Now I am just a person.

Re: New Retreat Center? Anubhuti

Post by joel »

ex-l wrote:I notice another BKWSU retreat center in the USA called Anubhuti Retreat Center in Novato, California.
Yes, they're growing their business.
yogi108
BK

Post by yogi108 »

Anubuthi is a place i was very much a part of even before service started ... It started with a vision from a Senior Sister Chandru who was always questioned about her service in the West Coast ... DJ, Big Mo etc were very critical of her service capabilities ... her response was gettting a retreat center and name it Anubhuthi ...

Now who financed it, or continues to finance it, ... don't we all know the answer ... BK Elizabeth Padilla, another sister who at least now has something to run independently (Hopefully) ...

Its a nice little place which has a Madhuban-like courtyard and so many souls who have put in their energy to use to make it happen ... and I am sure all of them got their TOLI from DJ when they inaguarate the retreat!!!!

YOGI
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Post by fluffy bunny »

Whose name is it in? Elizabeth's or the Yagya?

There is a sanskar within the Yagya of keeping centers in personal names, or even family names, even when donations towards them are given in Baba's name.
yogi108
BK

Post by yogi108 »

Anubhuti is in the name of Big Mo and Sister Chandru, the West Coast Director!!!

So is the Baker Street house as well ...
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU

Post by fluffy bunny »

Why don't they put the all property in the name of the charity (... or trust or whatever). Is any of it?
yogi108
BK

Post by yogi108 »

They are all registered under different names and not sure that BKWSO is a charity organization or a trust recognized by the United States ...
bkti-pit
BK

Re:

Post by bkti-pit »

yogi108 wrote:They are all registered under different names and not sure that BKWSO is a charity organization or a trust recognized by the United States ...
As far as I know it is registered as a charity, I think under the name BKWSO and I think it was registered in Texas, most likely by Hansa. I know for sure that they are exempted from having to pay taxes.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU

Post by fluffy bunny »

As far as I an aware, there is some ambiguity in the ownership of the assets with centers being in individual's names and donations of money or labour taken which are then used to benefit that property. There are also more than one registered business/legal entity. I have no idea how they are connected.

How is the "official" recognition of a BK center handled? Are they franchised or licensed?

This is somewhere else the Brahmakumaris have or will trip themselves up on. They want to brag about how big their numbers are, how many centers they have, but in reality the vast majority of those are just privately owned domestic properties. Its like Christianity counted the number of churches according to how many private homes had a picture of Jesus or people praying in them.

Legally speaking, taking public donations to pay off a personal mortgage would not be tax exempt unless there was a complex arrangement by which the charity rented a proportion of the property back off the owner who happens just to be the center-in-charge. I am not sure the tax department would swallow that. It would then, probably, create zoning problem. But this has not bothered them in the past.
enlightened
ex-BK

Post by enlightened »

ex-l wrote:As far as I an aware, there is some ambiguity in the ownership of the assets with centers being in individual's names and donations of money or labour taken which are then used to benefit that property. There are also more than one registered business/legal entity. I have no idea how they are connected. Legally speaking, taking public donations to pay off a personal mortgage would not be tax exempt unless there was a complex arrangement by which the charity rented a proportion of the property back off the owner who happens just to be the center-in-charge. I am not sure the tax department would swallow that. It would then, probably, create zoning problem. But this has not bothered them in the past.
Hi

I know for a fact that most of the UK centres are owned by individuals and they are probably laughing their heads off, as you quite rightly said ex-l, they're getting they're mortgages paid off by the people running the centres or the people donating money to the centres. People like Muniben of Loughborough centre, then there are other centres such as Nottingham, Coventry, Leicester, Birmingham, Manchester, Wellingborough, Bradford, Leeds, Glasgow, Cambridge, Aberdeen, Edinburgh etc etc ... All of these properties are under individuals names not under the BKWSU when it comes to the mortgage. Well, all I can say is that these people have got their future's and their retirements secured!! It makes me sick to think that i donated most of my money only to get someone else's mortgage and bills to be paid off during all the years that i was a BK.

Regards
Iknewit