How to make quotes, lists, edit, add user icon, video etc

For site notices, guidelines and technical support.
= PLEASE KEEP THE FORUMS ON TOPIC =
howiemac
ex-BK
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: Brahmin soul, formerly with BKWSU, now independent

How to make quotes, lists, edit, add user icon, video etc

Post by howiemac »

The FAQ is the place to start... (see the link above). For editing tricks, look also at the BBcode guide (BBcode link in Options at the left of the edit window)

I have been asked to explain how to use the quote feature:

To reply to a message including quotes from another message, reply by using the "quote" button at the top right corner of that message - you then get all the message within quote tags: ie

Code: Select all

[quote="author"]... message is here ...[/quote]
then simply edit out the bits of the message you don't want quoted. You can type in your own quote tags if you are a programmer type (the ="author" part is optional - you can just type

[quote] blah blah [/quote]
But, once you are in edit mode, the easiest way (and the way to use most of the buttons at the top of the edit page, including font colours and font sizes), is just to highlight the piece of text you want to quote (or bold, underline, or whatever), and press the Quote (or B or u or whatever) button, and ... hey presto. :)

Once you have quoted some text, there is no need to make a space under the quoted text as the software does that for you. All you need to do is a single carriage return, e.g.;

[quote="author"]... quoted text is here ...[/quote]
Your message goes here without a space
[quote]... quoted text is here ...[/quote]
Your message goes here without a space again.
Notice the lack of spaces between the quote tags and the text that follows it. There is one carriage return only.
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Affinity to the BKWSU: ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Viewing forum in a new browser window

Post by fluffy bunny »

I just wanted to offer one specific tip for this forum for those with poor eyesight or that like more space to lay their thoughts out.

If you wish to view the forum outside of the frame of the website, try command-clicking, control-clicking or right-clicking [ depending on whether you use Mac OS, Windows or Linux operating systems ] on the Forum Index link.

This will allow you to view and navigate the forum in a new browser window without the decorative frame where you can increase the font size or see entire threads better.
admin
Site Admin
Affinity to the BKWSU: Academic
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: General forum administration account

Post by admin »

By popular demand, the Forum now offers avatars for users to chose, see ;

Profile > Avatar control panel > Show gallery to view various galleries.

Users can upload their own avatars but need to keep them within a certain size. 80 pixels wide is good, less is better.

The admin reserves the right or remove to edit as necessary.
pbktrinityshiva
PBK
Affinity to the BKWSU: PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: Godly service

New posting features

Post by pbktrinityshiva »

Admin,

I like the new features for spell check and abbreviations.

Om Shanti
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: ex-BK. Interested in historical revisionism, failed predictions and abuse within the BK movement.

Post by fluffy bunny »

I have been asked to explain;

How to make lists and bullet points.

I think the easiest way is to use an example form the forum;

[b]The actual root of the problem is a much bigger one. We all, so-labelled BKs, ex-BKs, PBKs, exist within a bigger box of "BK Brahmin" communication that is dominated by a small, self-elected elite within the BKWSU who seem to consider that they alone have; 

[color=darkblue][list]• the ownership of "God" and "The Knowledge".
• the rights to determine what and whose is it is.
• absolute and unchallengeable unaccountability to the rest of us and the right to exclude others  - so Eugene and the PBKs have demonstrated.[/list]
[/color]And, of course, that is over the whole of humanity not just us.[/b]
This equates to this;
The actual root of the problem is a much bigger one. We all, so-labelled BKs, ex-BKs, PBKs, exist within a bigger box of "BK Brahmin" communication that is dominated by a small, self-elected elite within the BKWSU who seem to consider that they alone have;

• • the ownership of "God" and "The Knowledge".
    • the rights to determine what and whose is it is.
    • absolute and unchallengeable unaccountability to the rest of us and the right to exclude others - so Eugene and the PBKs have demonstrated.

And, of course, that is over the whole of humanity not just us.
You see the important points;
  • a) Using the "list" tag/button indents the text within it.
    b) You do NOT make a space before or immediately after it but just continue on typing.
    c) If you want to make a new line in the list, just make a carriage return as you would naturally.
    d) If you want to make an alphabetical or bullet point list just use your keyboard, usually bullet points are "alt-8" or "control-8" depending on your computer; an alternative for where ever your asterix * is.
The easiest way might be to copy and paste the above and then edited yourself the first time. You do not need to make it bold or colored ... or you can as you wish. Be creative, you can always edit your own post if you get it wrong.
arjun
PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Post by arjun »

Om Shanti. Is there any limit as to how many times could a member edit his post?
Regards,
Arjun
admin
Site Admin
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: General forum administration account

Time limits to posting

Post by admin »

arjun wrote:Om Shanti. Is there any limit as to how many times could a member edit his post?
There are no limits on how many edits you make for one hour after first posting it.

After that time you must contact an admin or moderator and it is up to them to do it, depending on how much time and energy they have.
arjun
PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: To exchange views with past and present members of BKWSU and its splinter groups.

Post by arjun »

Dear Admin,
Hello and thanks for the reply. I faced some problem recently in editing. When I wanted to edit for the second time within an hour, I could not do so. I don't remember the message that popped up on the screen at that time.
Anyways, I will contact you if I face a similar problem once again.
Regards,
OGS,
Arjun
proy
ex-BK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: Started as BK became ex-BK here

polls, users online, and undoing.

Post by proy »

When I take part in a poll I always wonder how many people have voted. Is there a way I can see this? After all if, for example, I see a 100% result on a poll, and only 3 people voted, then it means almost nothing. I think that people very seldom make a post as well as a vote on a poll. At least I hope that is the case. If not then only one person voted on the BapDada poll, three on the use of violence poll, and one on the access to Murlis poll. If this is the case then the poll results that I see when I make my vote are totally meaningless. Is there a way in which the software can show us how many people have voted?

Arjun asked about if it was possible to show the number of users online. I have seen other forums that do this and also show the identity of the people who are online, if they choose to let it be known. I would like this too as it gives a nice community feeling to the forum when I know who is online at the same time as me.

Lastly, I find the software tweaks on this forum are very good. The best I have seen. For example the shortcuts. Would it be possible to have an undo button also? I know I could compose my replies in a word processor, and that may be a good idea, but often it is easier to write straight into the box here. Once I had a slip of the mouse when answering AbrahmaKumar, where I included a large number of quotes from him/her. I lost half an hour's work, and an undo button would have stopped me pulling some hair out and losing that too. Is an undo button possible with this software?

Thanks.
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

Proy wrote:When I take part in a poll I always wonder how many people have voted. Is there a way I can see this?
I agree. Hope it is convenient for the Admin. also.
Would it be possible to have an undo button also?
Yes, that would be good for me too. In addition, if it is feasible, we could have a draft facility also. That will all those who have very little time to answer lengthy posts or to post lenghty replies. This is again subject to the convenience of Admin. No compulsion please.

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

arjun wrote:Yes, that would be good for me too. In addition, if it is feasible, we could have a draft facility also. That will all those who have very little time to answer lengthy posts or to post lenghty replies. This is again subject to the convenience of Admin. No compulsion please.
The short answer is that the developers of the phpBB software are about to release a major upgrade. Until that upgrade is released and tested there will be no more obvious developments. It is not possible to know what new features it will have yet, or how much work it will take to get it up and runing, and so there is not much point customizing what is going to be an obsolete piece of software. Sorry.

But keep making your notes and suggestions.

Thank you.
arjun
PBK

Post by arjun »

admin wrote:But keep making your notes and suggestions.
Thanks for the encouragement and the efforts that you are making. We can wait for the upgraded software.
Wish you all the best.
Regards,
OGS,
Arjun
bansy

Post by bansy »

Some words get automatically capitalised.

I will have to type the following with spaces so that the autoedit facility does not act : Can the word "f ather" be not autoedited, since it comes out a "F ather", which therefore is God ? Thanks.

I think the "mother", "brother" and "sister" is fine whether it comes out capitalised or not. Also "he" and "his" comes out lowercase.
dyavu
PBK
Please give a short description of your interest in joining this forum.: Research purpose.

Post by dyavu »

arjun wrote:Hello and thanks for the reply. I faced some problem recently in editing. When I wanted to edit for the second time within an hour, I could not do so. I don't remember the message that popped up on the screen at that time.
hi, admin how to upload a picture, i unable to upload picture. It is showing error as "Image could not be uploaded.

DEBUG MODE

Line : 132
File : uploadpic.php" ...
fluffy bunny
ex-BKWSU

Post by fluffy bunny »

Seems to work fine from here. May be the server or your connection were slow?